Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

For some reason I have been getting frequent blue sreen crashes lately on my DV6T Quad Edition Laptop

The blue screen shows it was caused by igdpmd64.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I have tried upgrading the graphcis driver, running scandisk, swaping out the memory

Nothing I do seems to help

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

TO DUNIDAR:

Your solution to remove the Microsoft update KB2670838 seems to have fixed the problem. YAY!!!!!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, everyone else, too.

I sweated for a week doing the same kinds of things that other forum members have done, like cleaning my disk space and re-downloading the program that I thought was the culprit.

Then I thought of searching the web and came to the HP Forum.

Thanks to you and all the other who posted about this problem.  I really appreciate the exact steps to uninstall the KB2670838 update.  I would never have been able to solve this problem on my own!!!!

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, o/s = Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.  I dreaded the prospect that it was trashed.

The problem started after installing a Norton Internet Security update; I thought that was the culprit.

Then oticed that my system crashed randomly (using Explore!), but the Norton manager was ALWAYS crashing and crashing while doing a scan. I had to restart in safe mode to do anything without crashing and uninstalled Norton.

Realized that MS updates had also recently been installed.

Took me a while to understand that the problem was not Norton, but a system program.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended
hi.I don't know If you solved your problem but this may have been caused by a recent optional Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838).This update Is causing b.s.o.d's with igdpmd64.sys as the culprit.
HP Recommended

Oh my.  That is it!

I removed the windows platform update and it is perfect

Stupid Microsoft updates.  Arrrrgh

Should I leave that update uninstalled and hid it from the update list?

Thanks for the help

Tony

HP Recommended

Yes, that will do It! Also , If you download Internet Explorer 10 , It may download the platform update before Installing so watch for that also.

HP Recommended

Wow.  Thanks for the tip

Would be nice if Microsoft could stop breaking things that work

HP Recommended

welcome :Wink: A client of mine had the same Issue and I was lucky to see what was causing It.Who knows how many formats and possibly new laptop purchases might arise from a windows update.

HP Recommended

I experienced the same igdpmd64.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA blue screen of death problem on my HP Pavilion dv7 with Intel Core i7 2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz  2.00GHz running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I read a thread elsewhere on how to uninstalled the  IE10 Preview Release I had installed, which I did, which restored IE9. But I got the same bsod again.

Then I discovered this thread here.

I then uninstalled the Platform Update for Windows 7 x64-Edition (KB2670838) as suggested by Reprovo1. That seems to have indeed done the trick.

Thanks so much!!

Greg

HP Recommended

Hi there

Just had the same problem. After having installed this bloody update for Windows 7 64bit (KB2670838), the bluescreen would always appear after I connected with  a vpn using IE.  Thanks to your advice I was able to resolve the problem.  🙂

Lucia Ha

HP Recommended

Hi Lucia,

The post directly above yours mentioned that they needed to uninstall that update and it resolved the issue. Try that and let me know how it goes. Here is a link about uninstalling programs in Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/uninstall-change-program#uninstall-change-program=windows...

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

after installing explorer 10 i get blue screen with igdpmd64.sys.

after removing KB2670838 the issue fixed but also explorer 10.

How and if can i install explorer 10 on my DV6 laptop.

Thx,

Arik

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.