Question

Honor Student
slayer31
Message 1 of 4 (158 Views)

hard drive failing?

Okay, I have a G62 228CA Notebook, and I'm guetting the Short DST failure when I run the self diagnostic test (after pressing ESC on boot up).

Does this mean my toshiba hard drive, which is 1.5 years old, is dying?

does the Failure ID code mean anything at all, or does everyone get  a different one?  Mine is QE7880-54T615-XD003G-60w703.

Product ID is XA503ua#abc.

I'll be quite disappointed if the hd is dying...  the laptop has spent 99% of it's life sitting on a desk.  It's rarely moved, never bumped, has clean air vents, etc etc.  

Thanks in advance

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (154 Views)

Re: hard drive failing?

DST failure indicates bad sectors on the hdd which does point to hdd dying. Hdds seem to die at a much more frequent rate on newer faster, more heat generating machines. Just had a call this evening from a friend about his son's 7 month old custom built gaming desktop  giving Smart warning about imminent hdd failure.

If you haven't yet I would get an OS Recovery Disk set burned soon.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00810334/en_...=

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
slayer31
Message 3 of 4 (133 Views)

thanks - I suppose I need to go buy an external drive to make an image.

Hopefully it doesn't freeze during that process!

Gotta say it's annoying that the drives, when purchased on their own, come with a 2 or 3 yr warranty, but when packaged in a laptop they're only covered for 1 yr.  

And HP won't even look at my email since it's over a year old.   Wonder if all co's are like that.  Will certainly check that out before I buy my next one

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (131 Views)

Unfortunately most companies give the 1 yr warranty, which includes the hdd that 'would' have a 2-3 warranty from the manufacturer if purchased seperately.And if you contact the manufacturer they will tell you it is not covered by their standard warranty but by the OEM who built the machine.

Up side is that once you purchase the retail hdd you will have a longer warranty.:smileyhappy:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation