Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have a compaq nc 6200 notebook that has been packed away for a while.  When i turn it on it asks for a startup password before windows even boots.  I dont remember ever setting one in the bios. Is there a way to bypass or reset it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can create a Windows password reset disk to reset your password. Follow this 5 easy steps:

1. Enter a computer that can link to Internet. Download Windows Password Reset Tool from http://www.windowspasswordreset.net and install the software on that computer.

2. Run the software and create windows password reset disk by follow the instructions.

3. Eject the created CD/DVD and insert it into the locked computer.

4. Reboot the locked computer (it's necessary for you to change your locked computer's BIOS setting to make it boot from CD drive) and then follow the instructions to reset Account password.

5. Now login Windows and set a new password.

HP Recommended

I use Hiren's Boot Disck and burn to CD using Power ISO.

HP Recommended

I don't know how to do this

HP Recommended
My laptop is asking for startup password
HP Recommended
What can I do
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.