Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Presario F700 has two problems that would be easy to fix separately but together they have killed my laptop. 1st problem - the laptop does not recognize its internal cd/dvd drive. I have updated and then reinstalled the driver. Then reset BIOS defaults but still no disk drive. I don't know if it is an operating system problem or a mother board/bios problem but the drive does not show up in device manager, file explorer, or BIOS. 2nd problem - my vista operating system is corrupted, badly. Windows will not start normally but will start in safe mode. I have done everything up to and including restore. But the laptop always freezes up b4 windows loads. It would be easy to boot from my recovery disk and reload winows but i can't because the dvd drive does not work. So my question is...how do I force the laptop to boot from and external dvd drive(USB). when the laptop starts in safe mode i can see that it recognizes my external dvd drive...but it will not boot from the drive when i put in the restore disk. any suggestions?  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Shutdown the system. Connect the external CD/DVD drive. Start the system and start tapping <ESC> at HP/Compaq Logo screen, it will start a one time boot menu that will allow you to choose to boot from USB which is your external CD/DVD Drive...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Any other suggestions? tapping the esc key at start-up did not work. It got me to a BIOS screen that told me about the system components and at the bottom said "hit f10 to go to setup". But nothing about "boot from usb".

HP Recommended

You can even try changing the boot order to first boot from USB...this link has the steps to do so:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00364979

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

okay, i think i am making a little progress. it seems that booting from USB is not an option. I found the BIOS configuration menu and changed the boot order. There were three options with USB as a prefix: usb hard drive, usb disk in key, and usb floppy. i moved all three in front of the notebook hard disk and tried starting-up with different combinations of boot order. no luck. even though i "save and exit" the boot order the laptop always tries to boot from notebook hard disk. when i hit f-9 at start-up it goes into a "change boot order" menu but there are only two chioces: 5.notebook hard drive and 6. network adapter. we know the result of booting from notebook hard drive so I tried booting from network adapter. an INVIDIA boot agent initialization screen pops up and ends with the message...media test failed check cable.

if i had a network adapter and a network there is a chance i could fix it. what is this network adapter and where do i get one??? thanks for your help so far!

HP Recommended

why  my HP ENVY 4 wont recognize the harddrive when i try to reinstall windows? any advice?

HP Recommended

Hi All,

this is Pradeep, my Q is here, can i use the external DVD/CD Drive for HP Sleekbook Pavilion 14 - B004TX? If it's applicable then how can i use of it?? Please help me..........

Rgds,

Pradeep {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

rked fine that is the answer for it.

HP Recommended
If your usb external dvd drove doesn't appear in the boot menu, in the boot options, add a delay of 5 seconds. And that's all
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.