Question

Student
clay-g
Message 1 of 4 (6,624 Views)

how do i wipe my hp g61 laptop clean and restore to factory settings

I do not have a disk to back up the info. I just want to wipe this computer clean and start over. It seems to have viruses also. Avast keeps popping up on screen and snails move faster than this thing does now. It was extremely fast so I want to try and reset it to the original settings and see if that doesn't help.
Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 4 (6,612 Views)

Re: how do i wipe my hp g61 laptop clean and restore to factory settings

Here are the links that has the step by step process to restore the system to factory settings. Choose the one depending on the operating system installed on your system:

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
If you are using the Windows 8 operating system on your HP or Compaq PC, learn how to restore the original software.
HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)
If you are using the Windows 7 operating system on your HP or Compaq PC, learn how to restore the original software.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Student
britnie
Message 3 of 4 (2,965 Views)

How do i change my password i cant remember it and i cant get on administator i have a hpg61 thank u in advance
PhD Student
PeerOne
Message 4 of 4 (2,951 Views)

clay-g wrote:
I do not have a disk to back up the info. I just want to wipe this computer clean and start over. It seems to have viruses also. Avast keeps popping up on screen and snails move faster than this thing does now. It was extremely fast so I want to try and reset it to the original settings and see if that doesn't help.

Does your hidden parition still exist? If you can boot to safe mode with networking and see if you can still create your recovery media and if not see if you can re-order your recovery media from HP and use those to wipe clean your system back to factory install. That would be your best options otherwise a clean custom install is the next thing to do if you have your own O/S to install but if not get the factory recovery media from HP.

Asking For Help - Some Basic TIPS.
1. What is the P/N?
2. O/S?
3. Give Much Details as to the problem if possible.

Don't PM me if you don't allow PM InReturn.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation