Question

mpm Honor Student
Honor Student
mpm
Message 1 of 4 (1,578 Views)

hp mini - windows failed to start - windows boot manager

I tried to restore my mini after internet explorer quit working. Now all i get is windows boot manager asking to choose an operating system. XP or Roxio BackOnTrack. Both selections give me a boot selection failed  because a required device is inaccessible.  What can I do?

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 4 (1,569 Views)

Re: hp mini - windows failed to start - windows boot manager

You may need to re-install the OS, sounds like the recovery partition is shot.  You could slave the hard drive to another computer to back up the data before reinstalling the OS.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• mpm Honor Student
    Honor Student
    mpm
    Message 3 of 4 (1,556 Views)

I made a flash drive bootable and copied XP to it.  I can boot up from the usb drive and get windows running ok.

Now if I boot from the hard drive I get the same boot manager page

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 4 of 4 (1,527 Views)

Yes, it sounds like you'll need to re-install the OS on the hard drive.  But if you have a bootable USB drive you could try running a checkdisk or System File Check to see what it may find if anything.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.m...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation