Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey charlieah, 

STEP 1

First I would suggest running a Hard Drive test from HP System Diagnostics.

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Use one of the following methods:

3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the HP System Diagnostics program opens.

OR

Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F2 .
    The System Diagnostics window allows you to run several diagnostic tests. Each test determines if the hardware is functioning properly, and displays an error message and a warranty ID if there is a hardware failure.

STEP 2

In BIOS > System Configuration > Boot Options > Boot Order, do you see "Notebook Hard Drive" listed? Write down what items are listed there and put that list in your reply. If it is listed, this means the BIOS can detect the hard drive but it may have failed. If the hard drive is not in the Boot Order list, there's a physical or electronic connection problem. In this case, simply reseating the drive could help. Reseating is just taking it out and putting it back in, making sure it is snuggly connected. 

A Hard Reset is also worth a try in either case. Here are the steps for a Hard Reset.

If the hard drive still isn't being listed in Boot Order after reseating it and performing a hard reset, you can try taking it out and putting it in a different laptop to see if a second laptop will detect it. If so, let it boot up and load Windows. If Windows loads with no issues, there may be a problem with the hard drive cable or port in the original computer. 

If it's not being detected in a second computer the hard drive has likely failed. There are some steps you can take to recover data from that hard drive. Here's a link to some of those steps explained in one of my previous posts. Please let me know if you have any questions about that. I have experience with that and would be more than happy to help.

I hope these suggestions help! Let me know the results when you get a chance please Smiley Happy

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.