Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

windows xp, pavilion dv5. caps lock and # lock keep blinking. screen is black. won't do anything. I have taken battery out, unplugged and tried restarting everyway possible. Nothing. Please help.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Perform a hard reset on the Notebook. To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.

• Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  • Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  • Disconnect any external devices or peripherals connected to the notebook. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds

If hard reset does not work, it could most possibly be a hardware failure and Please verify blink code sequence at below link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

First of all, thank you for your post, was really helpfull. After examinating the blinks it appears to be a problem with my CPU. Does that mean I might have to replace it? What is your advice?

HP Recommended

Hello, i have same kind of problem but my leds just keep on blinking after 6 blinks... and it does it even when I take the memory modules off. My guess is that the motherboard i broken.

@kamat_hp wrote:

Perform a hard reset on the Notebook. To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.

• Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  • Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  • Disconnect any external devices or peripherals connected to the notebook. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds

If hard reset does not work, it could most possibly be a hardware failure and Please verify blink code sequence at below link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

HP Recommended

Thanks for the posts above this worked perfectly doing a hard reset.

Thanks

Tony

HP Recommended

Do those blink error codes apply to the dv5-2077cl laptop?  I replaced my CPU but am still getting the single blink error code..

HP Recommended

Please help me. Everyone says that this broken computer is all my fault. I want to fix it so i used your comment for help. You sent me to a link that I was POSITIVE would work because it worked for all the other people in the comments. THE LINK DOES NOT WORK PLEASE FIX IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.