Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
i was installing windows when system held up. when i restarted it hangs on first logo screen of hp. where written "press escape to enter boot options". no key works caps light blinks some times and go off.
it is repeated every time. please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When it is attached to your desktop machine, can you feel if it is spinning? When you say that the desktop does not detect the hard drive, is that in the bios or when you open my computer?  If the drive is recognized in the bios, you can purchase software like getback ntfs that will try to reconstruct the fat table so you can copy items over to the desktop's hard drive.  You can download a trial version that will let you know if it will work but you would have to buy it to actually transfer the software to the desktop's drive. You can also try to download the manufacturer's drive certification test that will fix bad sectors and some minor problems. Spinrite will try to recover data for each sector that may have weak bits set (not completely up or down). If the desktop does not see the drive in the bios, the circuit board on the hard drive is bad or the drive is not spinning. If you carefully hold the drive in your hand and slightly twist the drive you should feel a gyro effect from the spinning drive. If you do not feel the drive spinning, the motor is probably bad or the motor circuitry on the bottom circuit board of the hard drive is bad. Sometimes (maybe 50%) you can try to replace the circuit board with the exact same model circuit board (even if you buy the same drive model, they can have different circuit boards).  The problem is the newer drives have a flash chip that stores tweaks to each specific drive for accurate access and speed. If the exact same circuit board spins the drive but can not read well, you will have unsolder the flash chip and move it over to the new circuit board. Then the chances get better for recovery. If the new circuit board will not spin the motor, then the motor is bad. You would have to send the drive to the manufacturer or some recovery company that can remove the platters and mount them on their equipment, calibrate it and read it (probably $1000+ with no guarantee). There are some people that post how to smash out the old motor and replace it with a new one but I think it would be a mistake to try.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I would try to do the install over again but enter the HP utilities by tapping F10 until the HP utilities come up and run the hard drive test and the memory test. I am thinking you have a memory problem.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Thanks for your response. its bios dont work unless hard drive is attached. As i remove hard drive bios start responding. so i hve found there is a problem with hard drive but even when i attach that drive as a external source computer does not detect it. Is there any way i can save my data.
HP Recommended

When it is attached to your desktop machine, can you feel if it is spinning? When you say that the desktop does not detect the hard drive, is that in the bios or when you open my computer?  If the drive is recognized in the bios, you can purchase software like getback ntfs that will try to reconstruct the fat table so you can copy items over to the desktop's hard drive.  You can download a trial version that will let you know if it will work but you would have to buy it to actually transfer the software to the desktop's drive. You can also try to download the manufacturer's drive certification test that will fix bad sectors and some minor problems. Spinrite will try to recover data for each sector that may have weak bits set (not completely up or down). If the desktop does not see the drive in the bios, the circuit board on the hard drive is bad or the drive is not spinning. If you carefully hold the drive in your hand and slightly twist the drive you should feel a gyro effect from the spinning drive. If you do not feel the drive spinning, the motor is probably bad or the motor circuitry on the bottom circuit board of the hard drive is bad. Sometimes (maybe 50%) you can try to replace the circuit board with the exact same model circuit board (even if you buy the same drive model, they can have different circuit boards).  The problem is the newer drives have a flash chip that stores tweaks to each specific drive for accurate access and speed. If the exact same circuit board spins the drive but can not read well, you will have unsolder the flash chip and move it over to the new circuit board. Then the chances get better for recovery. If the new circuit board will not spin the motor, then the motor is bad. You would have to send the drive to the manufacturer or some recovery company that can remove the platters and mount them on their equipment, calibrate it and read it (probably $1000+ with no guarantee). There are some people that post how to smash out the old motor and replace it with a new one but I think it would be a mistake to try.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot. drive is spining so i am going to try getback. 🙂
HP Recommended

my probook 4520s have about same problem,  when turn the power on,  Hp logo come up, at lower left corne said (press

the ESC key for startup menu. and I try  all the key, nothing is work.no F2,F8,F10. then  I try  to reseat all memory, still

not work, so I took the hard drive out put into other laptop, it work very good.    then I put hard drive back to hp again,

nothing chage, still only have hp logo, wireless key orange light on, Cap lock key (white) flashing.  

pppplease help help help..............

HP Recommended

Hello jsy,

Your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.