Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
This laptop is 5 years old. I have been told it has slow processors. Iam not very tech savy. Is it worth fixing this clunker?
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello kenkop!: that ultimately depends on whether or not the laptop can still do your bidding being able to run whatever you have on it.

A typical 5 yr. old model for starters either has a AMD Phenom II X4/X6 or an Intel Lynnfield Proc (i7 920/ Core 2 Quad

a 512-768MB video card(either an Invidia GeForce 200-400 or an ATI Radeon HD 4000/5000

2-4GB memory(PC 800\1066) a 250GB HD a DVD optical drive with Lightscribe technology with USB 2.0 ports

it's also running either Vista or the original Windows 7

outside of the HD which might be space challenged that's still not too shabby.

if it's possible I'd try and either replace the HD with a 1TB model(the desktops now are up to 5TB) get as big as your treasury allows SSD or get a external USB HD

you would have to follow whatever your HD setup program requires to make this your boot drive but most new HD's(except for OEM models usually have installation apps to make the transition.

the reason why I'm saying this is that I own a 3.5 yr old model(Pavilion 410y)

with a Phenom II X6 1045 proc

1GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 video

8GB PC 1333 memory

1TB Hard Drive

2 optical drives 1 a Blu-Ray reader #2 is a Blu-Ray burner with lightscribe, 7 USB 2.0 ports

which is an evolutionary upgrade from yours

besides if you get a new one you'll have to learn Windows 8.1 which is a culture shock because it's based on a cell phone OS rather than computer OS

good luck

hope this helps

spacechild

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.