Re: laptop runs fine with no battery and plugged into wall, but when battery is added it shuts off (2703 Views)
Top Student
tom1snyder
Message 1 of 4 (2,735 Views)

laptop runs fine with no battery and plugged into wall, but when battery is added it shuts off

Ok, i haven't really seen this happen before, but the back story is this.

I bought a dv7-1245dx about 4 days before the free windows 7 upgrade, and was actually not too upset with vista until a month in when it took 15 and a half minutes for it to start up.  

I upgraded to windows 7 and everything has been great until yesterday.  I am in central america working on a conservation project, and i went in to start up my comp.

it started up, went through the windows screen, login screen, and started windows about 3/4 of windows was loaded and the comp shut down.

After three times of this, I reseeded everything, and took out the battery.   It stayed on with no problem.  I called support, and of course since I paid for windows 7, instead of HP paying for it, they will not do anything.  

I finally had it on long enough to test the battery in HP support assistant, however it showed up fine.  I am now stuck working on a conservation project in the middle of the jungle with intermittent electric and lose whatever work I don't save every minute... 

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas on what I can do to definitely diagnose the battery as the issue or not.  I am going to attempt to recalibrate the battery at some point, but would not like to have to reinstall vista, run all their diagnostic tests, and then possibly get a new battery sent to me in NY which will then take weeks to get to me, when I can go to san jose in one day and buy a battery.  

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Top Student
tom1snyder
Message 2 of 4 (2,712 Views)

Re: laptop runs fine with no battery and plugged into wall, but when battery is added it shuts off

Still no responses, so I am bumping this.  Please let me know any ideas that might be something OTHER than battery problem..

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 4 (2,703 Views)

Re: laptop runs fine with no battery and plugged into wall, but when battery is added it shuts off

Try a power reset by unplugging the laptop, remove the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode F8 at boot time with the battery installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
tom1snyder
Message 4 of 4 (2,701 Views)

yeah i tried cycling and draining the power, as well as in safe mode.  The ONLY time the comp stays on, is when no battery is in, and plugged into the wall..just hoping my battery backup works long enough to ensure my work is saved before it shuts off.  I am in the jungle, and power outages occur daily, and in most cases multiple times....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation