Question

Honor Student
Michelleruth
Message 1 of 6 (7,267 Views)

my laptop is not shutting down

when i go to shut down my laptop  i click all the right buttons but nothing happens, it continues to run non stop

Tutor
j49e
Message 2 of 6 (7,256 Views)

Re: my laptop is not shutting down

[ Edited ]

Hello,windows not shutting down might be caused by too many programs running in background ..if using windows 7..right click taskbar then click on show windows stacked..click the X on the first box to shut tht down then continue with the others then shut down the machine as you normally would....if that did not work then re-post and i or someone else will be able to help...:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Michelleruth
Message 3 of 6 (7,245 Views)

it has to be something else. I followed your instructions and nothing happened, assuming that there were no other programmes running at that time

Tutor
j49e
Message 4 of 6 (7,243 Views)

Hello again, it could be a driver/hardware issue...in windows 7 click start>control panel> click hardware and sound>under devices and printers you can either just go in device manager(log on as admin. (or it will let you know that to change anything you have to be in admin)but to just look ..see if u can notice any>  ! or any other signs of issues with any driver(s) you might have to either update,rollback and/or unnstall-reinstall driver(s). if any of these does not work next it might be a power management issue.reply back when u can if this has not helped :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Michelleruth
Message 5 of 6 (7,238 Views)

there is no ! icons anywhere here. i am thinking that potentially it might be the power source thing... my battery is also taking a very long time to run out.

Tutor
j49e
Message 6 of 6 (7,228 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello, have you tried calibrating the battery since you have had the laptop?

you can try and see if that will help>

When and How to Calibrate the Battery

If the battery is frequently charged and discharged only partially, it loses the ability to gauge its true charge level. As a result, the battery meter in the Windows system tray may report an incorrect charge status. Calibration enables the battery to "re-learn" its true usable capacity.

Depending on usage, you may need to calibrate the battery every one to three months as determined by HP Support Assistant. Please see Checking the Battery Status with HP Support Assistant for additional information about using HP Battery Check.

When launched, the HP Battery Check utility in HP Support Assistant evaluates the current status of the battery and determines if it needs to be calibrated. If so, use one of the methods below to calibrate the battery.

How do I calibrate the battery in Windows?

During a calibration cycle, the battery must be completely charged and then completely discharged. In order for the battery to discharge completely, disable the power management properties. Follow the steps below to calibrate the battery.

Note
  • It is a good idea to print this page before proceeding.

1. Connect the AC adapter and allow the battery to charge until the battery charge light Image of battery light turns off.

2. Disconnect the AC adapter.

3. Click here to open Power Options.

4. In the left sidebar, click Create a power plan.

5. To change the plan name, type Calibrate into the Plan name box, and then click Next.

6. In the On battery column, select Never for all topics.

7. Click Create to submit your changes and force the battery to consistently discharge.

8. Allow the battery to discharge completely until the HP Notebook PC shuts down.

The battery is now calibrated, and the battery level reading on the power meter should be accurate.

9. Connect the AC adapter and restart the computer.

10. After calibration, return to the Power Options dialog box (step 3 above) and select the default power plan setting.

Show contentHide contentHow do I calibrate the battery in Safe Mode?

During a calibration cycle, the battery must be completely charged and then completely discharged. The calibration may take several hours, depending on the age of the battery and the HP Notebook PC configuration. Follow the steps below to calibrate the battery in Safe Mode.

Note
  • It is a good idea to print this page before proceeding.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Connect the AC adapter and charge the HP Notebook PC until the battery charge light Image of battery light turns off, indicating that the battery is completely charged.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. When the HP logo appears, press F8 several times.

5. When the Windows Advanced Startup Menu appears, select Safe Mode.

6. Disconnect the AC adapter.

7. Allow the battery to discharge completely until the computer shuts down.

Note
    • Do not use the HP Notebook PC in Safe Mode during the calibration cycle.

The battery is now calibrated, and the battery level reading on the power meter should be accurate.

8. Connect the AC adapter and restart the computer.

The maximum capacity of the battery decreases with time and use. If the battery is more than a year old and its useful charge life is getting shorter, consider purchasing a new HP Notebook PC battery to help optimize the usefulness of the HP Notebook PC. Please see your warranty documents to determine if the computer is still under warranty.

You should also check the status of the battery in the battery check portion of the hp support assistant and also try using the ac adapter(with laptop powered off) remove battery-plug in ac adapter then turn on laptop let it boot all the way through then as you normally would log off shutdown machine see if that works.Post back let us know if any changes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation