Question

Honor Student
swisshiker
Message 1 of 6 (1,072 Views)

pavilion notebook dv7 doesn't boot at all- beeps and led's blink

Hi.

I hope someone can help I have a pavilion dv7 3065dx which I bought only 2 years ago. I don't have a warranty anymore.

On startup the laptop immediately starts beeping. There's a sequence of 3 beeps which stops after 5 sequences. The numbers and caps lock leds also blink in sequences of 3 but they continue to blink. I've done everything that's suggested on the hp customer care page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4041777&tmp...

There is says the memory module isn't functional and to try resetting the RAM chips which I've done as well as taking them both out, then resetting just one of them and trying to start, then doing the same with the other. I've tried the hard reset suggestion.

Nothing works. What am I missing? According to the bios beep table it's the "memory ... module error not functional". Is it possible for both RAM chips to have gone bad at the same time? On occasion I've had an issue with the laptop shutting down automatically because of overheating. Did an overheat cause the problem? The fan is runnng when I startup and get the beeps. Or could it be another component and not the memory?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks

Master's Graduate
Jolly_Rogers
Message 2 of 6 (1,067 Views)

Re: pavilion notebook dv7 doesn't boot at all- beeps and led's blink

You may try to reseat the memory modules or just try to boot with only 1 memory module each time and check if the symptoms persists. Also try connecting an external monitor to check if there is any display on the external monitor so that its not an display issue.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Grad Student
davezorz
Message 3 of 6 (1,067 Views)

Hey, swisshiker. Not happy to hear you're having such a terrible issue. Especially with such a nice notebook.

Now it is POSSIBLE for the RAM chips to be bad, but unlikely. I would be more or less leaning towards the memory slots being the real issue. That would, unfortunately, mean a new motherboard.

Message 4 of 6 (1,061 Views)

I tried booting with one memory module at a time. Still the same 3 beeps 5 times.

I'll try booting with another monitor when I get a chance to borrow a cable.

Honor Student
swisshiker
Message 5 of 6 (1,046 Views)

davezorz wrote:

Hey, swisshiker. Not happy to hear you're having such a terrible issue. Especially with such a nice notebook.

Now it is POSSIBLE for the RAM chips to be bad, but unlikely. I would be more or less leaning towards the memory slots being the real issue. That would, unfortunately, mean a new motherboard.

How do the memory slots go bad? Overheating?

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 6 of 6 (1,042 Views)

Overheating could cause it. They could also just be defective and not shown that until now.