Question

Honor Student
hofeherke
Message 1 of 57 (50,283 Views)
Accepted Solution

touchpad freeze

I have a touchpad FB405UA#ABB. it has frozen and cannot do anything with it, doesnt react on touching any part of the screen or try to shut down. I don't have mouse or external keyboard. the Manuel doenst have notification how to reboot the touchpad.Could you please advice how to deal with the situation? Much appreciated

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 57 (50,277 Views)

Re: touchpad freeze

Hi,

Hold down the power button on the notebook until this forces a shut down.  Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for a full minute.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and press the power button.  You will probably see a screen telling you that 'Windows did not shut down correctly', use the arrow keys to select 'Start Normally' and hit enter.  See if the touchpad now responds.

Regards.

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
robwadeson
Message 3 of 57 (50,257 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem... My HP TouchPad 16GB (not the touchpad on a laptop) WebOS device has frozen and it's still playing music but doesn't respond to anything I press, sleep button, home button, touch screen, nada.... PLEASE HELP!

edit: I FIGURED IT OUT. I rebooted the touchpad and now it works great:

1. Hold top sleep button for 5 sec

2. Continue holding top sleep button AND hold bottom home button until the device turns off (maybe 10 sec)

3. reboot the device by holding top button until you see HP icon.

4. Enjoy your TP and hope HP will continue releasing firmware updates =D

Honor Student
hofeherke
Message 4 of 57 (50,219 Views)

Hi DP-K

thanks for the instruction.

The only way I was able to deal with the touchpad that i have left die the battery. As I am charging it, it has started to work. :-) my touchpad does not have removable battery :-( 

I'm quite disappointed that i have no solution before 8 hours (battery life) to use again my touchpad. 

regards 

HH

Tutor
Darkvader
Message 5 of 57 (50,112 Views)

Hi,

I will like to know if after the steps you mention the problem completly dissapear or you still have the problem?

I have a similar problem with the screen freezing after a couple of minutes of use, usually after returning from stand by mode or heavy load, after couple of seconds sometimes the freeze goes away by itself but half the screen touch capability stop working.

THanks

Intern
robwadeson
Message 6 of 57 (50,107 Views)

I'm running the updated firmware 3.0.2 and installed Preware so everything is running really smooth except for that one time when my touchpad froze (when I tried running skype, listening to radio at the same time). You can improve your touchpad's performance with this guide, very helpful. Link: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-new-hp-touchpad/3866

Tutor
Darkvader
Message 7 of 57 (50,097 Views)

I have two touchpads, one mine and the other one my wife.

Mine have have work great all the time out of the box with the 3.0.2 update, recently I installed preware and overclocked to 1.7 and it works great. Installed some patches from the preware list too.

But my wife oneis the one that have problems since it got out of the box, firt time we turn it on it frozed during the installation wizrd and half the screen loss toch capability. We reboot an everything was fine for couple of minutes and the issue happen again even with the 3.0.2 update.

I installed preware on the tablet with the issue and some patches and overclocked too, basically is setup the same as mine but it continues to freeze and loss half screen touch capability. Is really weird, one side of the screen works the other don't until you restart.

Thanks for the link, if you have any other ideas please reply.

Honor Student
mboich
Message 8 of 57 (49,976 Views)

Darkvader,

I'm having the exact same issue as you with the 32gb touchpad. If i click the power button to trun the screen off, the click again to turn it back on the screen is responsive again and registeres the touch. Have you figured anything out?

Thanks,

Mike

Tutor
Darkvader
Message 9 of 57 (49,968 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately no solution yet, but I'm pretty sure at this point that is a defective unit.

I call HP Support and they are willing to send me a box to send the unit for repair free of charge, but I'm gonna wait at least untill next week just in casa Best Buy receive couple of units this week and to quickly go and exchange it for a good one, since I bought the bad unit there.

If Best Buy dont get any additional units this week I will send it back for repair, I will prefer a new one straight from the factory, but I'm sure HP will repair it to my satisfaction it will basically be like a refurbished unit, wich is better than no unit at all :-).

I most admit that I love the WebOS more that what I thought I will, originally I bought at this incredible price to eventually install Android Honeycomb or Ice Cream.

I'm a Senior Software Engineer and I truly believe that HP screw up on their marketing and execution of this product. WebOS is much better than Android and iOS,  the system have by far the best real multitasking implementation on a Phone or Tablet. Unfortunatly HP drop the ball going with a crazy price on a hardware that dont have HDMI, back camera or SD Card reader.

In addition they drop the ball trying to bring developers onboard to build WebOS apps, without apps the WebOS could be the best one but it gets cripple by lack of options. Thanks god there is a Preware app from the Homebrew community that allows you to get additional apps, patches and much more.

Hopefully now that so many people got the device for a steal price they will see how awesome WebOS is and the same wave of people will put pressure on the market to get WebOS a boost with developers building apps and HP adding features.

At least HP said they will continue to enhance and support WebOS, they just decide to kick the hardware part to the curb, wich is probably OK.

Top Student
sneezerdoc
Message 10 of 57 (49,848 Views)

I have the same issue. If I continue to keep a finger on the screen it doesn't freeze. However, if I let it isle for 20 seconds or more I have to hit power on an off for it to in freeze. I spoke to customer service and they told me do the web os doctor and reinstall os. I will try tonite and report back.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation