Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

press the windows button on your keyboard & navigate around using the arrow keys

HP Recommended

If the light does note go on, but your touchpad is disabled, you will need to update the drivers for your touchpad

HP Recommended

Thank you, quick and simple fix

HP Recommended

Thanks!  Too easy, feel like I should have known that.  Such is life

HP Recommended

Interesting thing I just found for users of Windows 10 / Windows Insider Preview (specifically build 10074) running on an EliteBook 8460p:

Whatever included driver Windows 10 is using reverses the indicator light. The light being lit actually indicates that the trackpad is ACTIVE and the trackpad works. Going into the Synaptics Mouse Properties allows you to disable it, which turns the light off and makes the trackpad inactive. Not a big deal but useful information. Don't know if Microsoft, HP or Synaptics  will correct this for the final release or not.

HP Recommended

Me too and it is annoying me - tried tapping as suggested but light still on! :catsad:

HP Recommended

Is there any way to turn off orange light and still have Synaptics ClickPad V7.4 disabled even in regedit? There are no Illumination Options in V7.4. I see Illumination words in regedit but I have no idea how to change the values on any of them? Or is there something else I can download and install? My touchpad drivers are up to date. Is there a way I can downlaod and install V7.5 driver so I can maybe get the Illumination Option settings? I have Autism and am very annoyed with the orange light staying on! I don't want to enable the touchpad as I use an external mouse always and enabling the touchpad is very annoying too as things keep popping up or things go crazy when i type. I never use the touchpad. Hope someone can please help me? Thanks. 🙂

HP Recommended

It's a bug with current v17 software, you'll need to uninstall Synaptics from your control panel and download/install an older version to get Illumination Option setting to appear.

Here is the download link from Softpedia

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Synaptics/Synaptics-Touchpad-Driver-163151.shtml

Please be sure the filename matches.

synaptics_v16_3_15_1_c_xp32_vista32_win7-32_xp64_vista64_win7-64_signed_acme_inc.zip

Works fine on Windows 8/8.1 and even Windows 10.

Hope the information helps. :generic:

HP Recommended

@rock2hal wrote:

Is there any way to turn off orange light and still have Synaptics ClickPad V7.4 disabled even in regedit? There are no Illumination Options in V7.4. I see Illumination words in regedit but I have no idea how to change the values on any of them? Or is there something else I can download and install? My touchpad drivers are up to date. Is there a way I can downlaod and install V7.5 driver so I can maybe get the Illumination Option settings? I have Autism and am very annoyed with the orange light staying on! I don't want to enable the touchpad as I use an external mouse always and enabling the touchpad is very annoying too as things keep popping up or things go crazy when i type. I never use the touchpad. Hope someone can please help me? Thanks. 🙂

It's a bug with current v17 software, you'll need to uninstall Synaptics from your control panel and download/install an older version to get Illumination Option setting to appear.

Here is the download link from Softpedia

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Synaptics/Synaptics-Touchpad-Driver-163151.shtml

Please be sure the filename matches.

synaptics_v16_3_15_1_c_xp32_vista32_win7-32_xp64_vista64_win7-64_signed_acme_inc.zip

Works fine on Windows 8/8.1 and even Windows 10.

Hope the information helps. :generic:

HP Recommended

@rock2hal wrote:

Synaptics has a bug in v17 of their software. You'll need to uninstall the current Synaptics software and replace it with version 16.3.15.1. Once you do that, you'll see Illumination Option settings you're looking for.

Works with Windows 7/8/8.1 and even 10

I would post a link, but my post keeps getting auto removed for linking to 3rd party sites.

Google synaptics 16.3.15.1 and you should find the software/driver. *hint "Softpedia" :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.