Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the ideas but unfortunately they didn't help.

I installed C:\Drivers\Catalyst_15.7_WHQL_UnifL_v1.2 from leshcat & tried the full clean processes too. Alot of going into MSCONFIG and Device Manager, but still really slow boot up and application slowness/errors.

Any other options before back to Windows 8.1 which was fine?

Thanks! 🙂

HP Recommended

This is probably the last thing you should try before reverting.
Download the latest available Intel and AMD drivers from the HP product page for your device (even if it's for an earlier version of Windows).
Do the full cleanup process again: Full cleanup guide

Also, you do not have to go to device manager or msconfig, that only applies if you are running windows 7 (you are using Windows 10). 

Screenshot (1).png

Install the drivers you downloaded.
If the drivers work use the tool on this site to hide new driver updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If it doesn't help you should go back to 8.1 while you can 😕

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time and effort,sir 

HP Recommended

It has nothing to do with a clean install, Catalyst 15.7 is the cause.

Search for enableULPS in the registry and set every DWORD to 0. This will stop the boot delay.

It seems that Catalyst 15.7 has problems with the Graphics Controller being in ultra low power state.

Have fun

Vierstein

HP Recommended

Yeah, the cleanup and Leshcat drivers fixed the issue for me (HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 CTO Quad), Thank you! The instructions here worked; however, the link for the Display Driver Uninstaller was dead. I found the utility here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

HP Recommended

Yeah, the cleanup and Leshcat drivers fixed the issue for me (HP Pavilion dv6t-6c00 CTO Quad Edition), Thank you! The instructions here worked; however, the link for the Display Driver Uninstaller was dead. I found the utility here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

HP Recommended

Thank you Vierstein! That slow boot time was driving me nuts. I didn't have to remove or uninstall any drivers either, I just edited those registry entries (ended up being only 4). It went from about 1:45 boot time to abot 0:40. 

If anyone else wants to try I have a HP Pavillion dv-7 6179us which has the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and the HD 6490M switchable graphics. It's a bad combo in my opinion. I had problems with it in Windows 7 too.

Now if intel can release drivers to get the wireless display working then I'll really be happy.

HP Recommended

Vierstein is a genius.  My wife's Pavilion DV7t - 7000 series would take 4 or 5 minutes to boot up.  Often it would turn itself off when initially booting up.  I did the reset to "0" where ever enableULPS would appear in the registry (only 4 instances) and now this laptop boots up in 22 seconds....from power button press to desktop screen displayed.  Seems to me it would have been nice if HP could have provided correct drivers.  Leave it to HP.

Now, can Vierstein solve this next issue..........

We like to leave the touchpad (Synaptics) on our laptop turned off when we have a mouse plugged in.  There is a setting to do this under Mouse Properties in Devices.  A check box to "disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached".  It works fine until you restart Windows 10, then the setting is lost.  This used to work fine with previous versions of Windows.  Any suggestions?  There is nothing on the Synaptics website regarding this.

Thanks....and great job Vierstein.

HP Recommended

Hmm, I wonder if this is something similar to what happened with my HP Beats 15-p058na laptop. I never trust updates so did a full image of it using Macrium Reflect and then installed Windows 10 from scratch using the official ISO download from Microsoft. The build went well until I think a batch of Windows updates were installed. The laptop started running really slow. Worryingly, it appeared to be effecting the UEFI boot system as well. For example, pressing the power button usually caused the screen to come on immediately. Instead it was taking 15+ seconds for the "Press ESC..." prompt to appear.

I thought my laptop had failed but I read somewhere about AMD drivers underclocking the CPU. Before I decided to junk Windows 10, I did check the event log and there was messages about the all four CPUs been thrrotled back by the system. ALl very worrying.

It's currently running MEMTEST just to check the memory is okay before I restore the Windows 8.1 image which was working flawlessly.

Not good... not sure where the fault is here. I'm a pretty experienced IT support person (30 years in d'industry) so I can recognise something going badly wrong when I see it...

Rob.

HP Recommended

Rob,

You may want to try this simple trick as discussed by Vierstein.  It worked great for me and only 4 simple changes in the registry.  My machine boots up quickly now.  Have not had an issue since I modified the registry.  Until HP puts out new drivers for AMD, I'll stick with this. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.