Question

Honor Student
WM-B
Message 1 of 4 (129 Views)

windows internet expl. stops, locks up. i shut it off and on to use it at least ten times a day!

what do you mean by "value"?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (124 Views)

Re: windows internet expl. stops, locks up. i shut it off and on to use it at least ten times a day

WM,

There are thousands of computers out there, millions maybe.

We need context.

• Which exact model of computer do you have?
  • Which operating system are you running?
  • When did the problem start?
  • Have you tried anything to resolve the issue?  If yes, what did you try?

See this please – then come back and ask your question:

Ask Good Questions!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
WM-B
Message 3 of 4 (101 Views)

Re: windows internet expl. stops, locks up. i shut it off and on to use it at least ten times a day

I'm new at posting messages, but I hope that Dragon-Fur gets this.

I'm not sure what happened, but my computer is working just great today.

Thanks to everyone.

WM-B

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (92 Views)

WM,

Got it.  I am glad your computer is again working as you expect.

You might think about taking a look at this helpful guide (choose for your Operating System).  The guide explains things you can do to help your computer do its best for you.

Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 7)

HP PCs - Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 8)

If everything seems to be OK on the computer, then the cause of the problem might be your Internet connection.  We tend to believe the Internet is "just there" -- the truth is far more complicated.  "Stuff happens" to interrupt your service on occasion.

If you are using a home network connection, perhaps through your cable modem from your Internet company, then you might be able to test your connection between your computer and the servers (big computers dedicated to certain tasks) at the company that provides your Internet service.

For example, if you get your Internet Service from Comcast (Infinity), then they would have given you two IP addresses that you use to connect your home network, through the modem (router), and from there out to the company servers.  The company servers then give you access to the Internet.

You can open a command line prompt window and ping your network provider's IP addresses.  This will tell you if you are still connected to the DNS server(s) that provide your access to the Internet.  If you cannot "ping' the servers, then you do not have access to the Internet -- your Internet Exlorer will hang, your email will stop working, games that you play on the Internet will stop functioning -- everything that depends on that connection will grind to a halt.  When this happens, the computer has trouble because it is trying to stay connected.

command:  ping <IP Address>

where <IP Address> is the IP address that your ISP provider has given you to use so you can connect to the Internet.

Example:  ping 68.87.68.166

Whether or not you can access the Internet is a bit more complicated than just the ability to "ping" a server; however, it does give you a place to start.  No ping = "You can't get there from here".

Reference:

Windows 7: Elevated Command Prompt

More on DNS server connections -- Select and Open the file named:

Connect to DNS Server

===========================================================================================

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” to the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation