Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I have a HP dv7 with Windows 7, 64-bit home premium.

A few months ago I did a factory restore, booting from the Recovery partition (I don't have any recovery disks). After that, I thought to split my C: partition where the Windows was installed, and I did it with Disk Management from Windows.

So my new partitions were: C: with the OS,  😧 with Recovery,  E: with HP_Tools and G: the new partition.

A few days ago, the sistem was running very bad, so I thought I make another factory restore from the Recovery partition. When I rebooted and pressed F11, I got the "0xc0000225 Error".

I got a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit bootable disk and I tried the Startup repair and other sistem repairs, HDD checks, but all seems to be ok.

I have reinstalled the OS, from the bootable disk on C: (OS boots and works ok) and left the other partitions as they were.. but it seems that the Recovery partition still won't boot so I can do a factory restore with all the drivers and utilities as they were at the beginning.

Any ideas on how I can do that?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It looked like there was not much I could do about this problem. My disk was dynamic, there was no Recovery Manager in Start Menu, there wasn't any HP folder withy HP Recovery Media creation. I managed somehow to make a repair disk, tried it but no result, the error kept popping out every time.

I have inserted the Windows 7 disk to try to delete all partitions, including Recovery and HP-tools and make a clean Windows install, but the Delete, New and Format buttons were inactive.

I did some disk scans and some memory tests, everything was ok.. I booted with a Hiren disk and accesed the HDD with a linux based program and so I managed to delete the partitions.

After that I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 to work with my SN and everything was ok. Sadly I have lost the Recovery and HP-tools partitions, but at least it all works well again.

Thanks for your all your support.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, most changes made to the original partitioning scheme will remove the ability to use the F11 recovery manager from power on feature.

You may still be able to create a recovery disk set or USB recovery media if you have never created a set.

Follow the tutorial on this HP web document. I recommend the USB recovery media method. Recoveries performed with usb media are much faster and the media is more durable than DVDs by at least a factor of ten.

Once you create your set you will be able to perform a factory image recovery. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you as i understand your issue seems like partition went bad or might be corrupted.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7)

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Thank you!

I will try both suggestions and I will let you know what the outcome is.

HP Recommended

hello again.. i logged into windows - start menu, and searched for "recovery manager" to create a recovery disk.. but there's no match for this search.

HP Recommended

Windows 7

Start -->All Programs -->HP --> HP Recovery Media creation

Windows 8

Ivnvoke the Search charm and type in HP Recovery Media creation

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It looked like there was not much I could do about this problem. My disk was dynamic, there was no Recovery Manager in Start Menu, there wasn't any HP folder withy HP Recovery Media creation. I managed somehow to make a repair disk, tried it but no result, the error kept popping out every time.

I have inserted the Windows 7 disk to try to delete all partitions, including Recovery and HP-tools and make a clean Windows install, but the Delete, New and Format buttons were inactive.

I did some disk scans and some memory tests, everything was ok.. I booted with a Hiren disk and accesed the HDD with a linux based program and so I managed to delete the partitions.

After that I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 to work with my SN and everything was ok. Sadly I have lost the Recovery and HP-tools partitions, but at least it all works well again.

Thanks for your all your support.

HP Recommended
Aha! You didn't tell me that the disk had been changed to dynamic. 😉 That is what the issue was. Stick with basic unless you want to go through an issue like this again. If you are intent on using the dynamic disk, you can make a clone of the original setup before you make the change to an external disk to give yourself a plan "B" next time. 🙂

I recommend using Paragon Software's cloning and migration products to accomplish that end.

Thank you for returning to let me know how you were able to resolve the problem.

You are quite welcome for the advice.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I know that already quite some time has passed, but hope this info will be helpful to someone who encounters this problem. Posting it here since this is the first result from google if you search for this type of error.

So I wanted to upgrade from 128 SSD to 250 SSD dive, but after a direct clone and resizing C: drive to fully take the unallocated space resulted in 0xc0000225 error when using F11 recovery on boot. But after some time researching the internets the following solution worked for me. 

TL/DR:

Solution (needless to say, make sure you have backed up your imprtant stuff)

1.  Make a clone of the original drive. I used Macrium Reflect Free.
  2. Then restore the partitions as following: Manyally place the SYSTEM partition; Place the "C:" drive and modify it's size to be just enough for the RECOVERY and TOOLS partitions (Can be set in "Partition properties"). In my case  I had to leave 21.01 GB (16+5.01 GB). Then drag the remaining partitions onto the drive. "Next" (or whatever) and let the software do the drive clone.
  3. Once the clone is done, place the drive into the laptop (forgot to mention I was using my PC for the cloning 🙂 ) and let Windows boot. Let id do disk checks just in case. Now we need to add the "Recovery" to the OS selection in boot. to do that, I downloaded EasyBCD, installed, run. Now "Add new entry" -> "WinPE" and in "Path" point to "D:\Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.win" (This file is located in a hidden system folder, so make sure to enable viewing hidden system files in Explorer). Once added, restart your laptop.
  4. Once on the OS selection screen, select the entry you have added an Voila! You are inside a HP recovery 🙂 Let the recovery run (~20-30 mins, depends). Once done, I was able to use the recovery using F11 during boot :)))

So there. Hope it will save you guys a couple of days 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.