Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 10-n002ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!
I have a HP Pavilion x2 10-n002ng with Windows 8.1 32-bit preinstalled. I have made upgrade to Windows 10 (also 32 bit). But I need a 64 bit OS for some programms. But I can not install it, obviously, because 32 bit EFI does not support 64 bit bootloader.

As I see, laptops with the same name are sold with 64-bit OS now. So, is it possible for me to make some firmware upgrade on my laptop, to let me install Windows 10. 64 bit?

Where may it be downloaded?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello!

Even if I buy 64 bit Windows, how can it be installed on 32bit UEFI? I have tried to start from 64 bit Live USB - it does not work.

I see, there are a lot of Pavilion X2, which have 64 bit Windows installed, so, hardware should allow to do this.

HP Recommended

Your Intel® Atom™ Processor Z3736F, 2GB of RAM, and system board are fully capable of running Windows 10 64-bit. While i will concur that you may need a retail 64-bit Windows 10 installation disc, I highly doubt it. From my discussion with Microsoft's Charles Erwin, I was informed that after a Windows 7/8/8.1 computer was upgraded to Windows 10 it stores an activation token on the Microsoft servers responsible activating Windows 10. This token is linked to a hardware hash that should be unique to your computer. Provided you change too many components, the hardware hash will remain the same. The next time you install Windows 10 on this same computer, you should be able to do a clean install and it should still activate. In theory, this should work going from a Windows 10 32-bit upgrade to a Windows 10 64-bit clean install on the same computer.

Please clarify the statement "I have tried to start from 64 bit Live USB - it does not work." What 64-bit Live USB??? what doesn't work??? What did you try??? What settings have you tried???

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks, I know, that my laptop is capable of Windows 10 64 bit, because the same laptops are sold with pre-installed 64 bit Windows. I was not lucky to buy a version with Windows 8.1 32 bit preinstalled.

I can not start Live Install USB with 64 bit Windows, created buy "Цindows install media creator". The same issue I had with 64 bit Ubuntu Linux, 64 bit OS loader just can not be started.

But I could finally start 64 bit Ubuntu using some trick  with bootia32.efi file. For sure it is possible to do something similiar with windows.

HP Recommended

I also have a computer with 64bit processor and I have to buy a 64bit w10 license and try a clean reinstallation but I have an error message (this 64 bit application couldn't load because your pc doesn't have a 64 bit processor)   Why this error while my processor is 64bit?

HP Recommended

Did you manage to pass it in 64bit?

HP Recommended

Hello, it seems for me nearly to be impossible to do a clean install of Windows 10 64bit on HP Pavilion x2 10 k077nr, although the processor is stated to support 64bit, and it seems newer models are sold with Win10-x64 preinstalled.

Please read carefully first, what I already tried, before you give me these hints again:

- I already run Win10 32bit by doing an upgrade, but this will prevent to install 64bit upgrade inside Windows, right? It was also activated already. I write this to skip the unnecessary discussion whether to have to buy it 😉

- upgraded BIOS to latest version 7 for this model 10-k077nr, but the BIOS has nearly no options!
- disabled SafeBoot in BIOS, unfortunately there is NO option to enable legacy boot, BUT: quite funny thing is that on right side legacy boot is mentioned like "when legacy support is enabled..", but there is no such option!
- tried to boot by ESC-ESC-ESC and F9 after turning off, I always get only 2 options: OS boot manager and load from EFI file

- the ISO file I created with Rufus, I tried nearly all combinations: NTFS, FAT32, MBR+UEFI vs GPT etc

- tried all .efi files from either USB oder DVD I could find via "load from EFI file", always getting this message only:
- "the selected boot device failed"
- tried different USB sticks and as said even Win10 x64 by external USB DVD drive

- tried to boot by shift-restart inside windows, selecting then the "efi usb device", same message "the selected boot device failed"

It seems something prevents completely to do a clean install of Windows10 64bit. How can I force to do so? Is it possible all "boot helper components" cant handle anything with 64bit? It seems even a Kubuntu 64bit will refuse to boot from DVD ("boot from EFI file").

Is the problem something similar like this, and if so where can I flash or whatever a 64bit UEFI? >> http://superuser.com/questions/853009/possible-to-install-64-bit-windows-on-32-bit-uefi

See also http://reboot.pro/topic/20281-uefi-boot-x86-machine-on-x64-cpu/ => "a 32-bit UEFI system needs to see a \EFI\boot\bootia32.efi file"

BTW, I understand perfectly what the original poster wants, to achieve the same as me 😉

Unfortunately, found this below - here: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/issues/589 - too, we hope it is not true:
"To save a few bucks, it is actually common for cheap systems to have a 32 bit UEFI firmware (and therefore force 32 bit Windows) even if the CPU is 64 bit capable. Please see here."

HP Recommended

Too bad, I have given up already. I created an USB stick with Windows 10 latest build 1607 32bit, which seems to boot only if I use GPT partitioning and FAT32 within Rufus. But at least I can install it!

Anyway, please tell us if it is (nearly) impossible to install Windows 10 64bit (x64) on this machine (here: HP Pavilion x2 k077nr), or and if it is possible how to do so. I bet you have to build your own image.

HP Recommended

et voila enfin trouver la solution (donc pour w10). Il faut donc mettre dans le repertoire x:\sources\    2 fichiers ei.cfg et PID.txt

exemple du fichier ei.cfg

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

exemple du fichier PID.txt

[PID]
Valeur = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx   (votre cle a vous donc votre licence acheter)

et voila cela prend donc plus par defaut la licence du bios programmer par le constructeur mais sur votre fichier  Ouff.

HP Recommended

I think I am not the only one, understanding a little bit of French, but still don't get the point what you did exactly 😉
I try to translate, but not 100% sure, will add some (notes):

It seems you have to put 2 files into x:\sources

(what is x:\sources? a copy of the Windows 10 installation DVD, an USB stick, or so?)

These files are ei.cfg and PID.txt. In the following the content of these files is explained:

ei.cfg:
[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

PID.txt:
Valeur = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx  

xxx.. is the bought Windows 10 key (don't know what to set there, because I have just an activated version by upgrading). What I also wonder: if "Valeur" would work e.g. for English or German Windows..

(The last sentence in French is something about a default licence of the bios for the constructor but with your key - I don't get it, to be honest - maybe someone else?)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.