Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

"Who's on frist, What's on second!"

I must be in some sort of parrallel universe that isn't quite parrallel. On my HP Win 7 laptop, I go into "System and Security" but on next screen there is no "HP Client Security".

I'm running Win 7.

HP Recommended

I've been asking for a solution for this for some months elsewhere, without getting any answers. I now read these posts with interest. I have a ProBook, and with W7 I succeeded to open a USB disk most of the times. I got a password dialogue after the warning message, and admittance for one hour at a time by entering my standard login pwd.

In W10 I don't get this password dialogue box, only the warning message (as referred in many posts), and when activating the link safety category in the following message window, I'm taken to the properties window for my USB disk. Here i cannot find any settings for this.

As I read the posts here, I see a possible solution in uninstalling the HP Client Security. I've hesitated on this.

JordanGreer describes (post 9) a way of changing the settings in HP CS concerning "device permissions" and "Removable storage", but in my version of HP CS I cannot find anything similar to this. In advanced options I have the possibility to set/ change policies for adm/ users and a "safety functions"- button which leads me to choices on PC startup as far as I can see.

I have HP CS version 8.3.17.2042.

Anyone who have an experience with W10 and this problem? Is the HP CS for W10 radically changed?

HP Recommended

I used the following steps on my new Win7 laptop and it worked.  Thanks.

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Security and Protection -> HP Client Security

2. Enter your Windows password.

3. In the Device [3rd] column, click on "Device Permissions".

4. In the Device Class [2nd] column, locate the "Removable storage (ex. USB drives)" class.

5. Look at the Access [3rd column] for this class.  If it says "Allow" then click on the

"Change" icon located at the top of the Acess [3rd] column.

Wait for the pop-up windown, use the drop-down box to change the access to "Allow - Full Access".

6. Click on the left arrow [<-] top left of screen for the change to take effect.

In my case, the "Decice Access Manager with Just In Time Authentication" was set to "On".

After exiting the Device Access Manager screen, I was able to browse into my USB folders.

HP Recommended

Hi.

I think there's obviously a mismatch here, my HP Client Security has only one coloumn on the home page, with heading Identity, choices: fingerprint, pwd restore, pwd manager, Windows pwd, bluetooth, card, PIN, RSA (8 boxes).

If I go to the clogwheel upper right, it takes me to advanced properties, with 3 coloumns of clickboxes: administators policies and users (left), policies for standard users and my guidelines (middle) and safety functions (right). None of these directs me to choices on devices. So I'm still stuck.

Are we talking about the same application, same version? (8.3.17.2042)

HP Recommended

It was helpful. Thanx for your help

HP Recommended

I followed all the insructions given for Windows 7 Pro to fix my USB problems. 

Control Panel  / HP Client Security / (had to enter my recent Windows PW) / Device Permissions. I ran into a problem when I hit the USB selection I get the message - 'Unable to load device policy', followed what looks like code of some kind.  Dead at this point.  Any further suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I took the other suggested path.  I uninstalled the HP Device Access Manager(Control Panel / Programs & Features); followed by a reboot.  When I go to 'HP Client Security' in Control Panel, the USB box under devices is gone.  I have access to all my USB drives; and I used 3 different vendors and all are accessible & view just fine.

Thanks to all previous posts that got me to a solution.

HP Recommended

I will dance at your wedding and cry at your funeral. Thank you a bazillion times for this solution, which works like a charm. Live long and prosper.

HP Recommended

This seems to have worked for many however on my HP Pavilion Notebook I do not find HP Client Security anywhere in System or Security. Any suggestions for this? Cannot open USB Flash drives. Thank you for any additional help you can offer. 

HP Recommended

Barbsfrmok... Do you have HP Device Manager installed ?

If so, uninstall it... that worked for me over two years ago, and have never needed it, and USB  drives work fine.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.