Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Mini 1140NR Vivienne Tam
Microsoft Windows XP

Having gotten her computer BIOS password unlocked, she asked me if there was an alternative/upgrade to Windows XP that would run on the unit (HP Mini 1140NR  Vivienne  Tam  Edition). She correctly heard that XP is no longer supported.

I somehow doubt that Windows 10 will run on the unit and am not sure if anyone has any success with another OS on this particular unit.

I tried a "live" version of LUBUNTU 16.04 on on a bootable USB. However; it doesn't seem to boot properly and also dsplays messages about needing a wireless driver that is not present.

Would appreciate any advice. The unit still works with XP (although there is no virus protection and is not maintainable) and I don't want to render it unusable by playing around with it without a reasonable chance of success.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Geocacher_7103

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about an alternative to XP and wanted to help.

I'm not surprised Ubuntu 16.04 has problems on your PC -- I've been running various Linux distros for over ten years, on a variety of desktops and laptops, and it has problems on my machines, as well.

My best guess is that no new Linux distro is going to work on an xp-era laptop.  I have such a laptop and the last Ubuntu version that worked well was 8.04 -- April, 2008.  After that, they made kernel changes, and then later, xorg changes, such that no newer distros would work well.  Ended up restoring XP, and then later, upgrading to Vista, and then to Win7 -- all of which worked great!

Win10 is almost certainly NOT going to work, as it demands processor features that were largely unavailable when the XP machines came out.  I tried it on both of my xp-era laptops and it wouldn't install on either of them -- but in all fairness, I also tried Win8 on both, and while that did install, it didn't work well.

My suggestion for an alternative is Win7.  Even though MS changed the driver models in Win7, they kept legacy compatibility intact -- which is why my xp-era laptop worked great, even though it used xp video drivers, not Win7 video drivers.

Oh, and once you get Win7 installed, download and install this to prevent MS from forcing a Win10 upgrade on you:  GRC | Never10  

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

Linux should work fine on these type of devices. Here are your options:

1) Keep Windows XP on this device as long as possible. Ignore the fact that Windows XP itself is not updated. Just ensure other stuff is updated - e.g. browsers, Flash Player (if used), antivirus software. Prefferably install security suite like ESET Smart Security (www.eset.com ) , Kaspersky Internet Security (www.kaspersky.com), etc...

Once you find these are no longer an option, just buy another computer/notebook - there are very good new things from hp >> www.hp.com

2) Try Linux - my favourite Linux distro for newbies is LinuxMint - based on Debian and Ubuntu it has a lot smarter way to deal with most stuff and is easier for newbies or Linux newcomers. Additionally, it has lots of stuff preinstalled and experience similar to Win XP/7.

In order to protect the things in this moment and not to render the device unbootable or useless, please first back it up:

1. Back up user's most important files to external media (e.g. pen drive)

2. Create drive image of the HDD of the HP Mini - use the free CloneZilla. Download the stable AMD64 edition (ISO) from here >> http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable

Get the free Universal USB Installer > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/  and write the CloneZilla ISO to a USB drive.  Boot from this USB drive, follow the on-screen instructions and create image of the entire HDD to another external drive or another USB pen drive.

In this case, if something goes wrong. Just boot from CloneZilla USB drive and use the other drive to restore the HDD the way it was.

Linux Mint can be downloaded form https://www.linuxmint.com/

Recommended is Xfce edition because its lighter on resources

>> http://dfarq.homeip.net/2014/09/upgrading-an-hp-mini-110-to-linux-mint-17/

>> http://ask.systutorials.com/1082/wireless-driver-in-linux-mint-for-hp-mini-110-netbook

If you have any Linux Mint specific questions you can post them here or in the LM forum

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Geocacher_7103

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about an alternative to XP and wanted to help.

I'm not surprised Ubuntu 16.04 has problems on your PC -- I've been running various Linux distros for over ten years, on a variety of desktops and laptops, and it has problems on my machines, as well.

My best guess is that no new Linux distro is going to work on an xp-era laptop.  I have such a laptop and the last Ubuntu version that worked well was 8.04 -- April, 2008.  After that, they made kernel changes, and then later, xorg changes, such that no newer distros would work well.  Ended up restoring XP, and then later, upgrading to Vista, and then to Win7 -- all of which worked great!

Win10 is almost certainly NOT going to work, as it demands processor features that were largely unavailable when the XP machines came out.  I tried it on both of my xp-era laptops and it wouldn't install on either of them -- but in all fairness, I also tried Win8 on both, and while that did install, it didn't work well.

My suggestion for an alternative is Win7.  Even though MS changed the driver models in Win7, they kept legacy compatibility intact -- which is why my xp-era laptop worked great, even though it used xp video drivers, not Win7 video drivers.

Oh, and once you get Win7 installed, download and install this to prevent MS from forcing a Win10 upgrade on you:  GRC | Never10  

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Is Windows 7 still available?

I assume it's a paid upgrade, if it is.

(The young lady can't really afford much at this time. So that might not be possible.)

I think, for the moment, I'll suggest that she use XP.

She doesn't seem to use the machine for much beyond surfing, pictures and email.

I've installed a freeware virus scanneR that comes well recommended.

I've also installed the available XP "KB" series patches.

Luckily, I was able to get those. There were 127 of them required!

I don't think she knew about the auto-update feature, when she bought the unit.

In short; it should now be up-to-date as possible and reasonably well protected from viruses.

HP Recommended

From what I recall, even back then, Win7 was not a free upgrade from Vista, let alone XP. 

You did the upgrade by purchasing something known as the Windows Anytime Upgrade, you downloaded it, and you ran it -- and even then, you could only UPGRADE from one Windows version to the next: XP to Vista, Vista to Win7.

You can still purchase Win7 through online places, like NewEgg, but if she doesn't want to pay anything, then the only recourse is to stay with XP.

Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.