Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion DV7 7015CA, the current BIOS is F.29. As per the HPSA, new BIOS, version F.2D REV A dated 2014-08-26 is available and HP recommand to install it.  The downloadable file is SP68425.

I downloaded it to my desktop and executed it. Everytime it seems to be working except that it does not seem to call the Insyde software at anytime. It is ending saying that the update is ready and that a reboot is required to Flash the BIOS.

I do click on reboot, but it simply reboot, BIOS remains the same. A regular BIOS flash takes longer and the fan goes crazy for 4-5 minutes, but not with this HP Bios flash utility.

I do have a partition FAT HP_TOOLS, 300MB used at about 10%.

Please help if anyone encountered this problem before. The BIOS flash is the required first step to fix a 'black screen after Login' with  Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @jmrivest ,

Thank you for your query, I will do my best to be of assistance.

I understand you tried to flash the bios but you believe it was unsuccessful as it usually takes longer and the fan goes crazy for 4-5 minutes.

This is not always the case.  I flashed the bios on the lab notebook this morning and it took no time at all. When prompted to reboot it came up as usually, but when I checked the version it had been updated.

Would you check to be sure of the current version.

If it truly did not update, I would run a scan to check for viruses and malware.

Here is a link to Updating the BIOS to assist if it should be necessary.  If it did not update and you are still unable to update it, I suggest booting into safe mode with networking and try to flash the bios.

If this is still unsuccessful, I would contact HP support.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles,

Thanks for the answer. No for sure the time and fan noise were not the only reason suspecting the Bios was not updated. I did check the msinfo32 and it is still showing

Version du BIOS/Date Insyde F.29, 2013-10-03

I was saying this because in a post I read they were saying that msinfo32 is not always showing the right info, which I doubt.

I had tried the Safe Boot with Networking also, but it does not even give you the option to 'Update the system BIOS on this device' only the 'create a recovery USB flash drive to use on devices with corrupted BIOS' was not grayed out.

I juste tried stgopping my antivirus as proposed in your link, but still no luck.

One thing, I seem to have some power problems, I just changed my AC adaptor because it stopped working last week, HP shipped me a new one. But even with the new one, it seems to be only holding the charge but not charging. It says 'Plugged, not charging', the power is always at 95%, even if the PC was powered off all night. I am going to oder a new battery tomorrow.

Why i mention that is because The HP Systems BIOS Update Utility mentions as the last step after i choose the Update option, ''Warning: Please make sure this PC is running on AC power. Plug in the AC adapter and click ''Next'' to proceed''

I tought it was a general warning but now I am not sure. Could it be related to the power issue? The Utility sees, somehow, that the battery is not fully charged and it will not perfom the ÙBIOS update because it thinks th PC is not on AC power?

I will call the help desk number you supplied, hoping they wont force me to have a maintenance contract. I pais it for two years, it expired in July 2014 and the only time I phoned them they could not help me, so I did not pay again for a 3rd year.

J-M

HP Recommended

Some update: I did fix my battery problem, using the method described by jeffreypalermo solution but unfortunately it did not fix the BIOS utility, same results, still no BIOS upgrade. I will call the support on thursday.

HP Recommended

An update: Finally the problem is not fixed but the tech convinced me not to upgrade the BIOS even if suggested by HP. I ask if the BIOS Upgrade program available through the HP UEFI Support Environment would be safer, but once again the answer was that there are more risk than benefits and he would not recommend to upgrade the BIOS.

Note that it was not the tech from HP support that told me this since my HP maintenance contract expired 2months ago, it was the tech from the Warranty I bought from Staples, they do provide technical support for the duration of the garanty.

Thanks for your help, hoping that next BIOS upgrade will work if it is to fix something important. It did work previously for the current BIOS version I have. At that time the BIOS upgrade was using the Insyde utility to perform the update rather than the HP WinFlash utility that is not working for this new version.

J-M

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.