Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately HP Support wont offer to help because the laptop is 8 years old,  even though there have been plenty of problemswith the bios on this model. Only option they gave me was to buy another laptop.  

HP Recommended

Hi @chrisoxendine25,

Thank you for letting me know.  You can try SmartFriend service.  There would be a nominal charge for their service,when I looked under "Anytime support for you" . 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Is there any known issues with the bios on the DV9700 series. There seem to be a lot of people who have issue with these laptop. I have read that people also had issues with only the hard drive showing up in the boot menu. We also had this issue. We couldnt boot off the laptops DVD Drive or USB Flash Drives.  We verified that the DVD drive was enabled. The bios even see the DVD Drive in the boot order.  The same goes for our USB flash drive.  But we could never boot off them. 

HP Recommended

Hi @chrisoxendine25,

Thank you for the update.  Have you tried creating the USB on a different computer and then doing the recovery? As it did take the original update without any errors then the update must have been OK. Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code that may help.  Please keep me updated.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Yes I have tried creating the USB Recovery on another computer. Unfortunaly I think this computer was produced before they made bio recovery.  It had a older bios. I think that the USB BIOS Recovery tool only works on for newer laptops with UEFI bios.  It does seem like the bios did install sucessfully.  Only LED that are on is the power. The lapt has a quickplay display above the keyboard and it is also on.

HP Recommended

Hi @chrisoxendine25,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link. 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

I am sorry to intervene in between the discussion of another expert.  Just a suggestion. 

You may do a recovery in your computer which would install the OS all over again.  I do understand that the issue is with BIOS recovery , but before deciding to repair the computer, i guess le's try the recovery.

And if you wish to try that, then it is 

To keep tapping on F11, after u push the power button On.   

Thanking You,

Regards, 

Ashok

lease let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".  To simply say thanks, click the “Thumbs Up” below!   :-):smileyhappy:

Spoiler

If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer but recovery wont work because the screen is completely black when the computer starts up and is unresponsive

HP Recommended

Well , if you any external monitor , try to connect to that and see if that monitor is showing any display. If not , then it is a hardware issue, and we need to get the computer repaired. 

You will have to call HP Tech Support @ 1-800-474-6836.

Thanking you,

Regards,

Ashok

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

Thanks but the laptop is completely bricked due to the bios update

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.