Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

mine is showing this at normal boot

boot device not found

please install an operating system on your hard disk

hard disk (3F0)

with the Win + B key I get caps led flash, 2 - 3 HDD led flashes, again a caps led flash and a slight increase in fan speed. I've waited for varying durations upto 2 minutes, 5, 10, 15, 30, etc. I've never gotten to the Bios flash screen nor does anything display on the screen at all.

with USB Reacovery also same

any solution?

HP Recommended
Hello @v4abrew. Can you please repost the link as the one you posted is broken. Thanks.
HP Recommended
Hello, Bruce_T, I have the same problem as AffanJavid. I have tried all three BIOS updates on the hp website and even tried renaming some files(.BIN) without success. Laptop is HP Envy Touchsmart 15-j050us Quad Edition.

Caps lock blinks once immediately after powering on (while using the Win+B combination) and then blinks again after a few seconds. Does this count as blinking twice or once?

Also AffanJavid, kindly explain how you got the laptop to work again?

Thanks
HP Recommended

Good Morning @Therapeutic

I see that you had a bios update fail and that you have been unsuccessful in restoring the bios or doing an update.

Here is some documentation to assist you with that endeavor.

Restoring the BIOS

Updating the BIOS

If neither of these has helped, I suggest you do a recovery back to factory.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

During the recovery process you will notice an option to backup your personal files to prevent data loss.  If you have not done one recently, I suggest you do one now.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

If you are still unable to fix the bios, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello Theraputic...

I'm sorry that you're having this issue with your Envy TouchSmart 15.

What you are describing is a 1 blink error, which indicates a probable system board issue.  You should contact HP Support to see about getting the unit serviced.

Thx, and good luck...

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!
HP Recommended
Thanks Bruce_T and Sparkles1.
Sparkles1, I doubt that oerforming a system recovery will work but I'll try it anyways and post the outcome here. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hi Therapeutic,

Thank you for your response.  I have seen other people have success with doing the  factory recovery, which is why I have suggested it. Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would call HP support.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I had installed a SSD into my machine. I unplugged the SSD and tried booting the machine with no HDD in the drive, the machine immediately powered on and completed the flash process. After the flash process the machine complained of no HDD (as I hadn't yet reinstalled it). After it was reinstalled, the PC booted fine into windows. 

Perhaps give that a try and see how you get on. 

Thanks

Callum

HP Recommended

I can't believe it but I just got around this issue.  I'm not sure if my fix will help anyone else but thought I would post it.

I have an HP Envy dv6t-7300 and upgraded from BIOS F.24 to F.2D REV A.  After running the update I got the same scenario as everyone else here.  Just a nice black screen to look at.  Power button was lit up and so was the wireless light but that was it.

After trying the stuff I was reading here I took a shot in the dark and pulled the hard drive.  My hard drive is an SSD OCZ Vector.  After doing that I booted the system and I saw a brief message and a progress bar showing the BIOS update completing.  I reconnected my hard drive and everything working!!!  I'm so, so happy!  Had to share this with you guys in hopes that it works for someone else.

HP Recommended

Hello AMD4EVER... I'm glad you were able to get past this!

It's hard to say what would have caused this - my (limited) experience with SSDs has been that depending on the vendor and drive firmware, interesting things can happen.  There might be a way to update the BIOS without removing the offending drive.  For future BIOS updates, you might want to try running the SOftPAQ and selecting the option to create a recovery key.  After the key has been created, insert it directly into an available USB port on the system (not a hub or expansion port) and then power on the system while holding down or all 4 arrow keys (or the [Windows] and [B] keys) simultaneously on the notebook (again, no external keyboard).  Hopefully, this will bypass the detection / enumeration of the SSD and update the BIOS directly from the USB recovery key.  An by the way, that recovery key can be a REAL handy thing to keep around.   :generic:

Thx agn for sharing your update with the community!

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.