Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Not solved with these methods
Finally i paid 100$ to laptop repair shop & they fixed it for me
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with black screen after the BIOS update. I tried everything from this topic, nothing helped. Finally I've found my own solution.

You need USB flash.

1. I downloaded from the HP site "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" for my laptop and installed it on the usb flash drive

This utility created the "Hewlett-Packard" folder. Inside it I found emty subfolder "BIOS", "BIOSUpdate" and "SystemDiags" subfolder with some files

2. I detached HDD from the laptop and attached it to another linux computer

3. Mounted "EFI system partition". In my case it was 

mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt

it was fat32 partition

4. I copied all files (in my case it was 3 files with bin, s12 and sig extensions) from the /mnt/EFI/HP/BIOS/Previous to the USBDRIVE:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Previous and to the USBDRIVE:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New and to the USBDRIVE:\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current

All 3 folders had identical previous version of BIOS

5. Just for the case I copied all subfolders from the "Hewlett-Packard" folder to USBDRIVE:\HP folder and also copied BIOS and BIOSUpdate subfolders to the root of the flash

6. I detached the battery from laptop and attached my USB flash to it. And my laptop was with detached HDD. It is important, otherwise it will try to restore Previous version of the BIOS from HDD first and it for some reason didn't work

7.I pressed and hold Windows Key + B and pressed Turn on button just for a second and after it released all pressed keys

I have seen the screen with BIOS recovery process

After recovery it rebooted twice. Gave me an error about the missed HDD. I turned it off, attached HDD and everything worked

As I understood without USB flash drive if you have corrupted BIOS, it tried to restore it from EFI hiden system partition and it didn't work for some reason

When I downloaded BIOS from HP and deployed it to USB, it didn't create the file with SIG extension. Maybe it was the reason why it didn't work

Or maybe something else

And as always such things happens after the warrenty has been ended

HP Recommended

I've run into this problem as well.  I have an HP Envy 15.  It's been an ok laptop with the exception of the bios update black screen and intermittent problems with the headphone port not playing sound (detects that something is plugged in but doesn't work).  The headphone problem is what drove me to try a bios update. 

Long story short. I'll never buy another HP laptop.  My wife just purchased a new laptop (not a cheap one either) and we went with Lenovo.  I'd suggest anyone looking for a laptop not consider HP after the ridiculous problems I've experienced with mine over the past year and a half. 

The answer for me on this black screen bios update bug is to remove the battery and the HD.  Power the machine on and it power cycles itself once or twice then the screen lights up with a no boot device error.  Power it off and reinstall the HD etc and it works again.

Hopefully that helps someone. 

HP? Never again!

HP Recommended

Hello. I have the same problem with a black screen . When I press the power button , the fans run for 2-3 seconds and off , and the power button and the F12 key is constantly on. further 10-15 seconds later, fans are started again . the same thing happens when I use the USB key , and the indicator on the USB drive is lit continuously. Tell me what do these symptoms ???

HP Recommended

Hi @Megion4ik,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that after doing a bios update you have a black screen  and the fan runs for 2-3 seconds then  turns off. The power button and F12 key remain lit, another 10-15 seconds later the fan starts again .  When  using an USB key to overcome this issue the indicator on it also remain lit.

If you have already tried restoring the bios ( link to instructions are in my previous post) then I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the outcome.

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

solved (15 j010sr and  j150sr  -but it will be work for others!)

if u read this topic u dont need to know... UPDATE BIOS ONLY FROM WINDOWS!

what we got? Black (no light) screen blinkin capslock twice with interval, and orange wifi led. After flashing bios thru PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI.

1. u need original previous worked bios from your laptop

2. if u fail update bios from USB FLASH DRIVE PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI  (go to step 😎

3. if u fail update bios from HDD PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI  (read next)

4. remove HDD

5. find selfboot ISO with acronis true image on WinPE (u can use other soft to look in to hide partition with EFI folder) and burn it on flash drive

6. mount laptop hdd and acronis true image flash drive in to other PC

7. find 1 partition (approx 110mb) with EFI folder and HP folder, inside HP folder u must find BIOS folder with previous and current folders and copy whole HP folder to FLASH DRIVE

8. find files (u can see another numbers) 01966.bin from previous (this is ur old bios) folder and 01966.s12  01966.sig from current folder

trust me this files will be there (include .sig) i dot know where u can get .sig file separatly 😞

- note: u can check filename and bios version in HEX editor in the end of the file  01966.bin like this $BID01966F00

9. download sp63599.exe PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI 5.3.3 and install it on formated in fat32 USB FLASH DRIVE

10. put 3 files in to current folder on flash drive

01966.bin 

01966.s12 

01966.sig

11. disconnect battery and AC

12. hold power button for 30 sec

13. connect AC and USB Flash drive

14. hold WIN+B press power button for 1 sec, hold WIN+B 3 sec more screen should be on after 20-40sec, and whole operation take 5 min

15. connect HDD, remove usb flash drive, start windows and flash last BIOS from WINDOWS

ps. i dont know for what purpose HP create firmware manager in  PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI, where u can choose wrong file or correct file and anyway u kill your laptop!!! How and why?

HP Recommended

Проблема "смерти" ноутбука hp envy после перепрошивки биос, hp envy 15j010sr не включается экран после прошивки биос, черный экран после прошивки биос envy 15. black screen bios flashing hp envy 15.
(добавил немного тегов тк решения в инете нет, втч на забугорных форумах) а я его рожал в муках аж сутки

ВСЕГДА ШЕЙТЕ БИОС НОУТБУКОВ ИЗ ПОД ВИНДЫ!!!
всегда делайте бекап любого биоса перед прошивкой!!! Это лучше чем тащить железо к людям с програматором

если у вас горит вайфай и капс мигает 2 раза с перерывами, точно ноут можно починить не выходя из дома! (если вы его сломали прошив биос а не уронив на пол). Софт описаный в методе может быть другим, главное чтобы видел разделы и их содержимое.
00. Случай если вы неудачно обновили биос через PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI находящийся на жестком диске ноутбука.

01. случай если вы обновлялись при помощи PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI находящимся на USB Flash drive всё тоже самое только с пункта 4, тк все будет уже доступно на флешке. HDD тоже придется вынуть.

1. качаем образ Acronis true image на WinPE (может и родной линукс образ все увидит - незнаю)
2. вытаскиваем HDD из ноутбука подключаем к компу (от компа лучше отключить другие накопители) и грузимся с загрузочной флешки акронис на winPE
3. находим раздел в котором занято порядка 110мб, и есть папка HP (помоему она внутри папки EFI)
4. внутри папки HP есть папки BIOS внутри есть Current, previous убеждаемся что в этих папках есть файлы, они там точно есть. В общем копируем целиком папку HP с помощью acronis (резервное копирование папок и файлов) на флешку.
5. нам нужен файл вида 01966.bin из папки previous он точно там будет. (НЕ ОБЯЗАТЕЛЬНО Открываем его hex редактором мотаем вниз и убеждаемся в самом низу будут имя файла 01966 и версия биоса строка вида $BID01966F00).
6. Из папки current берем 2 мелких файла по 256кб
01966.s12
01966.sig
без файла sig нефига не выйдет как я понял. Но он был там во всех трех ноутах что я починил таким методом.
6. вот собсно и практически всё, качаем с сайта HP sp63599 PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTIC UEFI развертываем его на флешку отформатированную в fat32, копируем наши 3 файла в папку current на той флехе -
01966.bin
01966.s12
01966.sig

7. вытаскиваем батарею отключаем питание держим кнопку включения 30 секунд (hard reset)
8. подтыкаем питание (не батарею) вставляем флешку, зажимаем WIN+B, жмем 1 секунду кнопку включения, продолжаем держать WIN+B еще 3-5 сек.
9. ноут все прошьет минут за 5
10. включаем HDD грузимся в винду и уже по человечески из винды обновляем биос на последний скачанный с сайта HP :)

p.s. зачем HP придумала возможность запороть биос обновлением из UEFI путем указания руками файла, не ясно. Но это факт - таких людей десятки по инету и все попадали на програматор итд. Причем с программатором все гораздо сложнее в плане файлов! Вы штопаете голый биос в нем не будет не сирийников ни чего другого, все это придется вытащить из неудачно вставшего биоса и склеить файлы в hex редакторе.

HP Recommended

What is the solution? ESC doiesnt help...  My laptop is stuck in a BIOS recovery loop

HP Recommended

This is unbeleiveable ! I've just downloaded a system bios intended for use on my Envy 15. I did this in preperation for installing extra memory and SSD during my christmas holiday. Not only has it failed and left the laptop unusable but when I search for a solution I find this long thread here in the HP forum dating back 2 years !! Why the hell is this bios update still available to download ?

My Laptop is out of warrentee as of Sept 16 ! I expect HP to repair this for me.

UPDATE - For anyone else falling into this trap this is how I got my laptop back up and running.

1. You need a USB Drive (stick) - had go and buy one as I don't use them
2. Download the bios update to another wondows PC
3. Run the setup, if that pc is not an HP Envy 15 you will only have the two options availble to you so choose to create the bios update on the USB DRIVE.
4. Then take the USB DRIVE insert in the non-working laptop, with it powered off.
5. Take the battery out and plug in the AC power.
6. Hold down the Windows Key, B Key & Power button all at the same time for 3 second then release.
7. The screen will come up - mine said something like no drive signiture and then counted down but I just pressed enter to continue. The screen flashed a few times then said "go to startup"? pressed enter JOB DONE.

At the moment I don't know what bios it's on or if it's SSD capable but at least it's working. I'll keep the USD DRIVE safe for a while.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.