Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have already gone into the power settings and adjusted the "close the lid" and "turn off display" settings to DO NOTHING, but when I close the lid, apps I have running stop. Then imediately start back when I open my laptop lid. Please help!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ThisGuyJoseph

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you want the computer to be running when the LID is closed as well,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Would it be safe to assume you've got a dual monitor setup to your HP notebook?

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

In the meantime, extend the monitor display to the other monitor and make the external display your "main display" before you close the LID set to do nothing when closed.

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I have done a few different things. For awhile there, I was under the impression that setting your computer to "do nothing" would have no affect whatsoever on the apps/programs you are running, however I recently discovered this to be untrue. After many google searches, I have come to the conclusion that google is unhelpful here. I do not have a dual monitor setup, I'm not sure I even know what that means. The product number for my laptop is N5Y90UA#ABA. 

HP Recommended

@ThisGuyJoseph

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed. 

Here's all you need to know about choosing what the LID does, in order that you may be able to resolve your concern,

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button. 

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

• Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings: 

1. At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results. 

2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does. 

3. To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

4. To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

To learn more about the power options: Click here 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.