Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For a few months now, at some point my battery would indicate nn% (plugged in, not charging) and would maintain that charge as long as it was plugged in. Running on the battery, the charge would eventually diminish and in order to get the battery to charge again, I have gone through to process of uninstalling the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery in Device Manager. Usually within 24 hours, things would revert back to plugged in, not charging. However, that is no longer remedying the problem. (When this was an issue the indicator light next to where the AC Adaptor plugs in would flash blue. Also, I upgraded from Win 8.1 to 10 a few weeks ago, but this issue has been occurring for a few months now).

Now the battery reads 2% (plugged in, not charging) and when I use the HP Support Assistant to check the battery, I get the message “HP Battery Check was unable to access the battery”. I have performed a hard reset, reset the BIOS, and updated the BIOS, all to no avail. If I unplug the adaptor, the computer shuts off.

Any suggestions for additional fixes? I have seen one additional suggestion to do a system recovery but I have not yet made a recovery disk for win 10 (I do have one for the win 8.1), and would it make any difference anyway since the plugged in, not charging problem was occurring under win 8.1?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @shmay7,

Based on the information you provided, I think it is a connection issue between the laptop and battery.It might be something wrong with the touch point between battery and laptop, or circuit of the battery. It is better to have another battery so you can try it with the laptop.The recovery media creation should not be affected by the power issue with the battery no installed.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @shmay7,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums!

I have read your post about the battery does not receive charging. I want to assist. Please use the UEFI to test the battery. Let me know the result.

And the Recovery disk creation only allows you to make 1 set. If you have created 1 set under Window 8 before, it may not allow you to create another one under Windows 10. You can have a try.

Please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!     

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply.

I should have included in my original post that I had tried the UEFI to test the battery. However, I just tried it again and the results were the same. After starting the test, it took 2:45 for the screen to change and indicate Test in Progress and the Progress Bar was at 1%. The test never progressed beyond this 1% and an additional 8:15 later (a total of 11 minutes), the screen displayed NO BATTERY INSTALLED and THE BATTERY MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS STARTED.

I might have discovered a clue as to what is going on, or at least where something is happening. After this, I went ahead and allowed the system to start noticing that it took quite some time to startup. So I did a normal shutdown and a normal startup (with the battery installed). For the first 1:10, the screen was blank/black and then the HP logo appeared and 8 seconds later the Welcome screen appeared and the system normally started up.

I then did a normal (Start Menu) shutdown, removed the battery, and started up the computer. After 6 seconds, the HP logo appeared, 10 seconds later the Welcome screen appeared, and normal startup ensued. Hopefully this sheds some light on what might be happening.

Regarding the Recovery disk, IF I can create a new disk for Win10 (I have not tried yet), will it contain whatever corruption might be causing this problem, if it is indeed some kind of corruption and not a hardware issue?

Thank you for your assistance!

HP Recommended

Hi @shmay7,

Based on the information you provided, I think it is a connection issue between the laptop and battery.It might be something wrong with the touch point between battery and laptop, or circuit of the battery. It is better to have another battery so you can try it with the laptop.The recovery media creation should not be affected by the power issue with the battery no installed.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice SDJL! I'll have it checked out and post the outcome here.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your assistance SDJL. I wanted to report that I have final bought a replacement battery and it has resolved my issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.