Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Purchased this non working computer for $40.  The screen is black, the caps lock light blinks and the wifi light is lit in orange.  At the time you could hear everything boot up in the computer, the fan would run, the harddrive would boot up .... so I watched some videos on black screen problems on youtube, got it up and running.  

However it was a tease, it worked for less than a month.  I didnt fix the problem which was over heating.  I did buy quadfans to go underneath it but turned them off at night and shouldnt have.  I scheduled the computer to check for updates at 3am so the computer would come on then and the fans wouldnt.  

Well the black screen issue is backkkk.  The fan doesnt start up, the harddrive tries.  This time nothing is fixing it.  Ive torn it down to the motherboard to replace the fan.  I replaced and upgraded the harddrive and memory ... still nothing.   It also has a new battery and power cord.  Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Kureeeus1,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

I hope this helps.  

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Kureeeus1,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are having an issue with the notebook starting, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I see that you replaced the Hard Drive, and the Memory Modules, and the issue still continues.  Are you still getting the blinking LED lights?  In the meantime, try reviewing the following document, just to see if there is anything that you may have missed: 

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

First of all, thank you for your quick response, wow.  Thank you.  The product number is LH615UA#ABA model g6-1a19wm.  I am still getting a blinking caps lock light and a constant orange wifi light.  I just replaced the fan so its very quiet but you hear the harddrive making noise like its starting, I can open the CD drive.

I tried the hard restart troubleshooting tip, but it didnt start up.  Im going to go back thru and see if there is anything else I can try from all of the information.  Thank you and you have a great day as well.  

HP Recommended

Hello @Kureeeus1,

Hey, that is no problem!  Thank you for the information!

How many times will the LED lights blink?  They should blink up to 6 times, pause, and then start blinking again.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello SDF15, 

thanks for asking 🙂  the LED lights blink constant about 2 second intervals.  

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Hello @Kureeeus1,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Try reviewing the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

I hope this helps.  

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello SDF15, 

Thank you for the quick responses and all of the great info.  The 1 blink - bad CPU makes sense, its about the only thing I havent replaced.  Wish I would have known this sooner but now it will be better than brand new once I replace that.  Thanks for all of your help and have a great day.  :womanvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I got the CPU today and replaced it ... still the same problem, it didnt fix it.  :womanfrustrated:

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, majority of the time that cpu error code actually is pointing to a bad cpu socket on motherboard. At least that is what members here have surmised from all the posts about replacing cpu and still no joy.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

So after replacing the motherboard (along with everything else mentioned before CPU, CPU fan, memory upgrade) she finally fired up.  The screen lit up and it worked.  For about 20 minutes at a time.  It keeps overheating and I have it on top of a raised quad fan cooling pad.  All vents have been blown out when I had it apart.  Its a brand new CPU fan.  I used thermal pads instead of thermal paste this time do you think that could be the problem?  Is there a CPU fan upgrade or does anyone have any other suggestions?  All help appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.