Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new 14" HP Envy Touchsmart sleekbook laptop PC. It has an i5 Processor, and 8 GB of Ram. The Hard drive is an SATA, 7mm, 500 GB Fugitsu running at 5400 rpm. I have installed Acronis 2013 as my backup and recovery software. This computer is less than one month old and I'm having issues with the UEFI security built-in to the laptop. How do I use Acronis on a PC with UEFI to make a recovery CD.

I have tested the recovery media on a new 500 GB drive, I just bought and installed. I did this to protect the original in Hard Drive case things go haywire. What a blessing... because the new drive has failed both the HP recovery media and the one I made the first day I bought this laptop. FAILED, FAILED, FAILED!

So far I have been unable to boot the laptop from the recovery boot cd made by Acronis. I have tested all linux flavor live CDs, and they also fail to boot. The error presented on the screen in a blue rectangular box is:

"Selected boot image did not Authenticate. Press <Enter> to continue"

Among the other short comings Windows 8 is doing a great job of pushing people to buy a Mac. Windows stock owners might want to consider moving their portfolio away from Microsoft. I thought we were protected from monoplies in business. {Content Removed}

The Firestorm about the START Menu missing in Windows 8 is small potatoes to what UEFI really means to the consumer. Then there is the failure of Windows 8 to run movies and DVDs. Do we smell a RAT yet? I have made the Recovery media using a 32 GB Flash Drive, it does not work. I ordered one from HP and it fails equally well. I am waiting on a matching hard drive I ordered from HP along with another recovery Falsh Drive. They also are sending me a Free Flash Drive to replace the one that failed. This all is adding up to a bum deal!

If any of you guys have found an answer let me know! Oh by the way! I have tried to enable the Legacy Bios. it brings up a cute error that reads:

"Operating System Boot Mode Change

A Change to the operating system Secure Boot Mode is pending.Please enter the pass code displayed below complete the Change. if you did not initiate this request, press ESC key to continue without accepting the pending change

Operating System Boot Mode Change (201)

2280 + Enter - to complete the change

ESC - Continue without change

for more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

Yeah, you tell me about corporate IT having a marvelous time with this new wonderful mindset called  UEFI!

So far is looks like someone is figuring out a way to force us to buy AIR to breath while they purposely polute the air to thieve a profit.  {Content Removed}

Best Reguards,

Vayeo1

PS those who defend  UEFI most likely have a great deal of profit to make huh?

What's next...oh yeah you can buy our car but you must be a certain weight, your eye, hair, and skin color must meet regulations, and it can only be driven on approved roads or it will politely stall and give the driver an error message about that road not being Authorized even if it is your only way to get home...too bad they laugh!

Oh did I mention that Acronis would not make a recovery partition because HP has used the limit on 4 partitions counting the original recovery partition. So the cumination of this setup is your ^*&^&*(%&(* if you do, and &(*&(*&) if you don't remove the recovery partition because the lousy recovery media fails repeatedly.

I have always supported HP, but the fine line is about to be breached!

---

6:10 PM Dec. 14, 2012

1) The HP Envy TouchSmart finally allowed me to disable the UEFI and enable the Legacy BIOS and that allows me to run Linux Live CD systems although the video orientation was on it's side...screwy but true.

2) I was able to find a Free program to allow DVD movie playback and music CD playback. Named: vlc-2.0.4-win32

I found that at: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

3) I have not attempted using the HP Recovery media until I get the new extra hard drive that I ordered on Dec, 13th. I'll update on this after I try it.

4) Not mentioned earlier, but I did find a free START MENU PROGRAM that runs reliably named:

ClassicShellSetup_3_6_2.   I found that at: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I will update my post as I make progress. I suspect the Recovery Disk Issue is related to the UEFI security fiasco.

There are many good things that the UEFI brings to the table, {Content Removed}

Sincerely,

Vayeo1

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I pretty much went through the same things you did except on my Envy Touchsmart Ultrabook, there is no optical drive. I tried a bootable flash drive which worked with another recent Win 8 laptop, a Lenovo, when the Bios was changed to Legacy but on this Hp Envy, even with the Bios change to Legacy, the flash drive would not boot.
My next step is to get an external usb drive and see if I can boot a bootable CD from that.

I've used that Classic Shell on a desktop system and it is really useful to ease the "pain" of using Win 8.  But on this Hp Envy I want to get used to the "real" Win 8 even though I work from the Desktop and not from the Metro UI.

I think the omission of the Start button from the desktop interface was really a big mistake - it will make for a really steep learning curve.

HP Recommended

The disk that Acronis makes is in Linux.  Try making one with WinPE.

Here is how:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/23882

It requires WAIK and Acronis Plus Pack which isn't free, but it should work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.