Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC
Windows 8.1

Adobe programs use CTRL ALT S  on most of their programs ... why do I have to deal with the HP System Information popping up every time I use these keys. It is annoying and counterproductive. 

This has only become apparent after the latest BIOS update. Spoke with HP support and they were next to useless, and could only tell me to change the shortcuts in all the Adobe programs I use. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @justinpywell,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your notebook computer displays the HP System Information when using the Alt + Ctrl + S shortcut, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To change this short cut, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Start screen
  2. Search for HP Support Information.
  3. Right-click this result.
  4. Select the option at the bottom that indicates it should open in the file location.
  5. The system should transition to the Desktop screen with the file displayed in it's folder.
  6. Right-click HP Support Information and select Properties.
  7. Select the Shortcut tab.
  8. You should see the shortcut field, but it will appear to be grayed out.  You can still click in the field and change the shortcut to something else.

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-do-I-disable-HP-specific-ke...

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@MechPilot wrote:

Hello @justinpywell,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your notebook computer displays the HP System Information when using the Alt + Ctrl + S shortcut, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To change this short cut, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Start screen
  2. Search for HP Support Information.
  3. Right-click this result.
  4. Select the option at the bottom that indicates it should open in the file location.
  5. The system should transition to the Desktop screen with the file displayed in it's folder.
  6. Right-click HP Support Information and select Properties.
  7. Select the Shortcut tab.
  8. You should see the shortcut field, but it will appear to be grayed out.  You can still click in the field and change the shortcut to something else.

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-do-I-disable-HP-specific-ke...

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

Firstly HP Support Information does not come up in the search, secondly, when I go to the file manually the 'Shortcut' option/tab is not present. as you can see in the image below. 

Any more help on this will be gratefully received 

Untitled-1.png

HP Recommended

Hi again justinpywell,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Since you are not able to search for the HP Support Information application, I recommend following the steps in this document on Pressing CTRL + ALT + S Opens a Support Information Window. This should help disable this popup so you can use the CTRL + ALT + S shortcut.

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Not sure if you could see my image ... I have tried following those instructions ... although they are for windows 7 and I still get NO option to adjust the shortcut, there is NO shortcut tab, there is no box where I can change the shortcut ... as you can see in my previous image 

@MechPilot wrote:

Hi again justinpywell,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Since you are not able to search for the HP Support Information application, I recommend following the steps in this document on Pressing CTRL + ALT + S Opens a Support Information Window. This should help disable this popup so you can use the CTRL + ALT + S shortcut.

Regards Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Hi again justinpywell,

I have conducted further research for your Windows 8.1 operating system, and to delete the shortcut you will need to re-install the HP System Event software. Once removed from Programs and Features, please click on the link below to download and install the software:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-119454-1

Seeing as this is only a temporary solution, and if you wish to completely remove the shortcut key, you will need to install a Professional or Ultimate version of Windows 8.1 on your computer. 

I hope this helps!

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Well, that's not a solution so will be leaving this open ... unless you want to pay for my upgrade?? 

@MechPilot wrote:

Hi again justinpywell,

I have conducted further research for your Windows 8.1 operating system, and to delete the shortcut you will need to re-install the HP System Event software. Once removed from Programs and Features, please click on the link below to download and install the software:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-119454-1

Seeing as this is only a temporary solution, and if you wish to completely remove the shortcut key, you will need to install a Professional or Ultimate version of Windows 8.1 on your computer. 

I hope this helps!

Best Regards 🙂

HP Recommended

Your link goes nowhere.  And why did HP make this mandatory, to the point that we have to spend money again just to be able to control this behavior?

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi - did this issue get fixed?

I have the same issue - everytime I save an image for web in PhotoShop (CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + S) - Boom - hello sysinfo.

This is rubbish - please post a fix for windows 8.1.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.