Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-f233wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have enabled legacy boot and disabled secure boot in BIOS then saved and rebooted, and also upgraded to latest BIOS version F.29, then hit ESC -> F9 on boot to select CD-ROM, where I get "selected image did not authenticate. Hit <Enter> to continue".

This is a known-good Debian Jessie production x64 install DVD used on lots of boxes successfully. I have also tried an external USB CD-ROM, with the same result.

My original and fully patched and updated Windows 10 OS still boots, but I need Linux on this box. I want to use EasyBCD to manage the boot process, but I still need to get the CD to boot to install on a new partition I've created after resizing my primary Windows NTFS partition.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It looks like the boot order is set to OS boot manager. You have to move the pointer to the legacy options. That's why it shows UEFI boot options because the default option is the boot manager.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@silverstr8p wrote:

I have enabled legacy boot and disabled secure boot in BIOS then saved and rebooted, and also upgraded to latest BIOS version F.29, then hit ESC -> F9 on boot to select CD-ROM, where I get "selected image did not authenticate. Hit <Enter> to continue".

This is a known-good Debian Jessie production x64 install DVD used on lots of boxes successfully. I have also tried an external USB CD-ROM, with the same result.

My original and fully patched and updated Windows 10 OS still boots, but I need Linux on this box. I want to use EasyBCD to manage the boot process, but I still need to get the CD to boot to install on a new partition I've created after resizing my primary Windows NTFS partition.

Hi,

Read this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Selected-boot-image-did-not-authenticate-Pr...

It sounds like the secure boot has not been disabled.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Here are my BIOS settings for the boot options:

legacy_secure_boot.JPG

Then when I boot I select my CD-ROM Debian .iso like:

boot_selection.JPG

But still it won't authenticate the .iso like:

did_not_auth.jpeg

What am I missing?

HP Recommended

It looks like the boot order is set to OS boot manager. You have to move the pointer to the legacy options. That's why it shows UEFI boot options because the default option is the boot manager.

HP Recommended

Thanks! That allowed me to boot to the CD-ROM and install Debian on unused space, which I partitioned as both Swap and EXT4 as root partition.

But I couldn't seem to set the root / partition to be bootable during the install.

So I installed EasyBCD in Windows and tried to modified the boot manager using it to show an option for booting to my new install, but it doesn't work, as it says my OS is using UEFI instead of legacy.

When I boot to BIOS, it says it will attempt UEFI first, then fallback to Legacy. Is there any way to disable UEFI, and just tell it to boot Legacy, or set it to boot Legacy first? Or is there any other way to get my Debian install to boot?

HP Recommended

@silverstr8p wrote:

Thanks! That allowed me to boot to the CD-ROM and install Debian on unused space, which I partitioned as both Swap and EXT4 as root partition.

But I couldn't seem to set the root / partition to be bootable during the install.

So I installed EasyBCD in Windows and tried to modified the boot manager using it to show an option for booting to my new install, but it doesn't work, as it says my OS is using UEFI instead of legacy.

When I boot to BIOS, it says it will attempt UEFI first, then fallback to Legacy. Is there any way to disable UEFI, and just tell it to boot Legacy, or set it to boot Legacy first? Or is there any other way to get my Debian install to boot?

Read this post: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=115423

The latest Debian (Jessie) supports UEFI!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.