Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
At the moment,

Optical
Notebook hdd
Notebook ethernet

If the USB is inserted, it gives me that option as well.

The installer prompted the custom option as the machine currently has no software installed.

It showed the file being partitioned, I think.
HP Recommended

OK, this confirms my theory - probably it tries to boot from something that contains this code.

Do you have a CD/DVD inserted because the primary boot is set to Optical ? Remove this CD/DVD ?

Can you press Esc -> F10 for BIOS -> click on "Main" tab and choose to Restore default settings ?

In the BIOS -> "Advanced" tab -> Boot Options -> for boot options can you UNCHECK both    CD-ROM and Floppy

Save the changes and exit, please

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I think we've cracked it.

Not sure the exact path but I've managed to sign in with my outlook account and it's now downloading drivers/updates

i did as suggested and saved the bios back to defaults, restarted using notebook hdd and it took off to the login screen
HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know.

Don't hesitate to post again 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Thanks very much, your help has saved me a lot of irritation!
HP Recommended

You are welcome!

HP Recommended

Appears I might have spoken too quickly!

Each time the pc shuts down or sleeps, the pc boots back into the 98 installer screen asking for with/without cd-rom support.

If I press esc, enter f9 and manually select notebook hdd, pc starts up normall.

Any tips on how I can rectify this?

Cheers

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting again 🙂

Well, the situation is the same as before. By defaut it boots from something else (not the HDD) and this "something else" contains this legacy Win 98 code, therefore the message.

By pressing the F9 and selecting to boot from the HDD, you boot from the HDD which contains Windows, therefore you skip this message.

The fix requires to find what this is.

So,

- Do you have anything - any CD/DVD inserted, any USB pen drive, memory card (SD/microSD, MMC,etc.) inserted .... during the booting (PC startup) ? If anything, please eject it

- Do you have an Ethernet (LAN) cable plugged in during PC start - up. If yes, unplug it

- Revert back to BIOS (F10)

Review the boot options:

Cd-rom
Floppy
Pxe internal Nic boot
USB device boot
Msata boot
Customised boot
Define customised boot option. - delete selected

* Secure boot - nothing selected
User mode - hp factory keys
Boot mode - legacy

* Legacy boot order
Msata
Optical
Notebook hdd
USB floppy
USB hard
Notebook Ethernet

Uncheck everything you may not need and leave only "Notebook HDD", "Msata" and "USB hard"

If you select the Legacy boot order you will be able to re-arrange the boot order. At the moment (from what you pasted previously", the HDD is the 3rd options. Make it the very first one - on top.

Hope this helps :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.