Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pro Book 450 G2

Hi guys,

Apologies if i've posted this in the incorrect section, it's my first post on the support forum.

I purchased from my ex employer a pro book 450 g2. My employer insisted on having the laptop wiped prior to my purchase.

The pro book came with windows 8, which I upgraded to 10 when prompted by Microsoft.

Two months prior to my contract ending, the machine had a new samsung ssd fitted.

The laptop worked fine.

Now, when I start up I get the diagnostics screen by default.

I have used another hp pc to download the windows 10 iso as directed by microsoft, but when i use the dvd it is burned to I get the following

Start -

Preparing to start your computer

This make take a few minutes

The windows 98 startup disk could not create a temporary drive for the diagnostic tools. This may be because this computer has less than the minimum required extended memory

Path not found - :\command.com

Path not found - :\extract.exe

Path not found - :\readme.txt

Bad command or file name

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive

File not found

To get help, type HELP and press enter

A:\>

- End

i've checked boot options to see legacy and not secure is selected.

What else can I do to get this machine up and running again?

Thanks in advace

Cheers

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know.

Don't hesitate to post again 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @boknows75

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

The DVD booting issue may be caused by a few things.

-1-  tthe DVD device is not working (non-functional)

-2-  the DVD with the OS is burned incorrectly, not scratched

-3-  Secure Boot option is disabled

With regards to -2-  I would suggest you try to recreate this DVD - redownload the entire ISO image and burn again the ISO. Note that the ISO file must be burned as image, not like a regular file... OR you can use a USB pen drive to install Windows 10

You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

* How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

* How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

* Ensure Secure Boot is disabled.

* Ensure Legacy mode is enabled.

* Save the UEFI/BIOS changes.

Details>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Eventually, please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive or the DVD prepared previously

Power  on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the thumb drive OR the DVD as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10

Install drivers taken from HP web site when Win installation completes or via Windows Update/Device Manager >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

With regards to -1- I can give you instructions how to download free ISO and burn another DVD and test

Looking forward to your reply/update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Hi IT_Winsec,

Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded the ISO file again, used rufus to burn the image to a flash drive and used that to boot.

I followed the custom install option and the initial install ran ok. I was then prompted to restart but I can't get past this point?

The installer says pc needs to restart, but when it does so, it prompts for start with/without cd-rom support.

If I hit with/without, it still gives me the same error message as previously discussed?
HP Recommended
Scratch my last.

I restarted using notebook hard drive and it seems to be working
HP Recommended

When using the custom install, did you format the entire HDD , a.k.a. removed all partitions and install Windows on unallocated space ?

Can you begin pressing the Esc button during boot, enter BIOS (F10) and check the boot order and tell me how it is configured ? You may also need to reset the BIOS to default settings (reload default settings).

Let me know if you did it and if it works.

HP Recommended

@boknows75 wrote:
Scratch my last.

I restarted using notebook hard drive and it seems to be working

OK,

That's what I was thinking of.

If you boot from HDD, it should be fine.

However, what you descrive makes me think it tried to boot from something else which when booting contains that code.

Is it ok now ?

HP Recommended
It seemed to be, but then went back to the Windows 98 start up black screen prompting start with CD-ROM/without CD-ROM and now is showing the same error message as previous
HP Recommended

You have nothing inserted in the PC during boot ?

Can you check the BIOS settings as suggested above ?

HP Recommended
Boot options

Cd-rom
Floppy
Pxe internal Nic boot
USB device boot
Msata boot
Customised boot
Define customised boot option. - delete selected
Secure boot - nothing selected
User mode - hp factory keys
Boot mode - legacy
Legacy boot order
Msata
Optical
Notebook hdd
USB floppy
USB hard
Notebook Ethernet
HP Recommended

If you press Esc, then choose F9, what boot options do you see available ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.