Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello all

I'm having some issues with Windows Updates and Windows Defender; neither can update themselves.

Windows Updates stays forever stuck in "searching for updates", and Windows Defender starts searching and gets to about 50% and stops and also stays stuck.

- I have a freshly installed Windows 8 OS - which updated to 8.1 during installation.

- I have installed all device drivers from the HP website.

- I installed the HP Support Assistant and updated any device that i couldn't find on the HP website, but the HP Support Assistant is also encountering problems with Windows Update, specifically it won't set my preference to "notify me when updates are available but allow me to choose which ones i want to install". I have a feeling this is a problem with windows because i can't also set this preference via the Action Center; the notifiction to set my preference is always there, like i have not set the preference before.

- I've also refreshed the OS several times.

- I've ran the Windows Update Diagnostic; It tells me errors where found and fixed:

https://i.imgsafe.org/d7a1deb305.png

, but re-running the tool again still yields errors:

https://i.imgsafe.org/d7a5811b7b.png

Runing the tool a third time yields the same error i got the first time runng it (the first image).

Error 80070057 refers to RC_ DataStore - Detects the following potential Windows Update Database errors, according to Microsoft (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434).

- I've run the DISM tool:

1- to check Component Store Corruption; no errors there:

https://i.imgsafe.org/d7a7a42270.png

Here are the logs.

2- to Restore Image Health; no errors there:

https://i.imgsafe.org/d7a9514881.png

Here are the logs.

Restarted the laptop.

Run the Windows Update Diagnostic again; Same errors as before.

- I've cleared the temp folders, both manually and with CCleaner.

Restarted the laptop.

At this point, i can run the Windows Update without getting stuck, but no updates are found. Issue is, there should be a ton of updates ready to download and install - I say this because Net Framework isn't in the Installed Program Window.

Windows Defender however, still gets stuck at 50%.

- I've deleted the Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

Restarted the laptop.

- I've Re-Register the Windows Update files:

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL /S

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL /S

REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL /S

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL /S

- I've run Windows Repair AIO, in safe-mode from Tweaking.com (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html), which some users report that had help.

1 - Found errors with Reparse Points - 88 - Fixed.

2 - Found "Errors on the Drive" - Ran Check Disk on reboot, out of safe-mode. Check Disk halts at 10%. Re-Ran Windows Repair AIO, out of safe-mode; found no errors (Windows Repair AIO notes that running it in Safe-Mode, Check Disk might report false errors. Still, the Check Disk hangs, might not be a problem because i leave it to run for just half an hour, could take more time, but truth is that the laptop's disc doesn't seem to be accessed after the 30 minutes; more or less, not tested). In Windows, running the verification tool on the disc yields no errors though.

3 - Restart laptop in Safe-Mode to continue Windows Repair AIO. Running System File Check (following all Windows Repair AIO) - no errors found.

4 -  Ran Repairs - problem was not fixed. Errors where found (haven't found error logs yet, looking...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
thanks for the replies,

i did contact Microsoft due to my warranty expiring soon and wanting to have this issue resolve before.
after their tchnictians logging onto my computer they where able to fixed the "problem", which was not a problem with my computer nor Windows; turns out the problem was that due to increasingly large Windows Update Databases, it seems like Windows Updates hangs, or at least does not pass on the information that nothing wrong has happened - it just needs time to look for updates. How much time though? The technition reported that he's seen cases where a person had to leave Windows Update running for 5 days straight, and at the end, updates where finally presented.
Windows Defender was also unable to look for updates, locking half way through - this would have to do with Windows Update not having updated yet, and conflicting with Windows Defender.

To solve the issue, the engeneer manually downloaded 3 updates, that would tell Windows not to search the entire database for updates, hence taking so much time, but to look in very specific places; the updates are KB3021910, KB3173424 e KB3172614;

The steps would be
1 - Deactivate windows updates
2 - Case you've started to look for updates, restart the computer
3 - Manually install teh 3 updates
4 - Restart again
5 - Activate windows updates

I will have to now re-install Windows because i've been messing around with the registry and changing all kinds of settigns to get this problem fixed, and i want to have a clean install on on computer, so i can't yet confirm that the fix was as simple as this. I will get back to this post.

EDIT: as i suspected, and as always, nothing is as simple. i was able to install the first two KB's the third failed, telling me the update was not intended for my system. Anyway, i restarted, and ran the update for 6 hours, auntil it found updates. Everything is working as intended now. Downloaded 250 updates, creating a clone of my clean install and backing it up online!

Hopefully these replies can help somebody out as well.

regards!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums @jguerreiro,

Thanks for the post. 

I see you are facing issue with Windows updates and HPSA. Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

I will be happy to help. 

Recommend you to run a system test on your computer to check for hardware failures. Click here for assistance. 

If the test fails, please replace the failed component, you can contact our phone support for the service options. 

Please visit www.hp.com/drivers and enter the product number of your computer and check for BIOS updates. Install it if available. 

Try to update Windows again, make sure you don't have any external devices connected during the update. 

Run the Microsoft update troubleshooter again to check if it can fix the issue on your computer. 

Let me know how it goes. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
thanks for the replies,

i did contact Microsoft due to my warranty expiring soon and wanting to have this issue resolve before.
after their tchnictians logging onto my computer they where able to fixed the "problem", which was not a problem with my computer nor Windows; turns out the problem was that due to increasingly large Windows Update Databases, it seems like Windows Updates hangs, or at least does not pass on the information that nothing wrong has happened - it just needs time to look for updates. How much time though? The technition reported that he's seen cases where a person had to leave Windows Update running for 5 days straight, and at the end, updates where finally presented.
Windows Defender was also unable to look for updates, locking half way through - this would have to do with Windows Update not having updated yet, and conflicting with Windows Defender.

To solve the issue, the engeneer manually downloaded 3 updates, that would tell Windows not to search the entire database for updates, hence taking so much time, but to look in very specific places; the updates are KB3021910, KB3173424 e KB3172614;

The steps would be
1 - Deactivate windows updates
2 - Case you've started to look for updates, restart the computer
3 - Manually install teh 3 updates
4 - Restart again
5 - Activate windows updates

I will have to now re-install Windows because i've been messing around with the registry and changing all kinds of settigns to get this problem fixed, and i want to have a clean install on on computer, so i can't yet confirm that the fix was as simple as this. I will get back to this post.

EDIT: as i suspected, and as always, nothing is as simple. i was able to install the first two KB's the third failed, telling me the update was not intended for my system. Anyway, i restarted, and ran the update for 6 hours, auntil it found updates. Everything is working as intended now. Downloaded 250 updates, creating a clone of my clean install and backing it up online!

Hopefully these replies can help somebody out as well.

regards!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and updating me on the issue. Please do observe the computer and if you face issues or have any concerns, please feel to reply or post on our Forums. 

Good Luck.

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.