Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I have been trying to solve this for a month now and am at the end of my tether.
I am now on my third set of recovery discs from HP and all have the same problem. I insert disc 1 as instructed to on the support forum. It runs through
Reformatting the windows partition of the hard drive - tick
Copying files required to restore the hard drive - tick
And immediately as that finishes, that window comes up :
Reducer
Copy file fails
To:C:\RM\Image\BASE.SWM
Press OK to retry

ALL three sets of discs have the same out come.
What the heck is going on?
I am so sick of this.

Have read some other posts with similar problems but can't seem to work out the solution. I do not have an external hard drive I can use...only the laptop that I am trying to fix. (G6-1305sa)

Any help? It also doesn't help when HP support is only open on the phones until 5.30 Monday to Friday. I am at work so can't call. So frustrating....

Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Belj,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g6-1305sa Notebook and not able to restore Windows. If the HDD is faulty this might cause the restore not to go well. You might try to run a hardware test.  Please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices. Is this the original HDD? Have you replaced any other parts? Have you tried to do a clean install of Windows 7. Try running sfc /scannow would scan your system for errors at the command prompt. You can get to the command prompt by clicking F11 at startup. You could check this Microsoft document on system recovery options.

Hope this is a help.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi Belj,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g6-1305sa Notebook and not able to restore Windows. If the HDD is faulty this might cause the restore not to go well. You might try to run a hardware test.  Please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices. Is this the original HDD? Have you replaced any other parts? Have you tried to do a clean install of Windows 7. Try running sfc /scannow would scan your system for errors at the command prompt. You can get to the command prompt by clicking F11 at startup. You could check this Microsoft document on system recovery options.

Hope this is a help.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply. A friend took a look at it for me and it turns out the hard drive was bust (think it was the reader) so I brought a new one, installed it today, ran the recovery discs and it all works! Success. Much relief - my son can do his homework now!
HP Recommended

Hey Belj,

Glad everything is ok I am sure you son will be busy with homework.

Have a great week.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have the same issue...ordered replacement disks and the recovery process hangs at the same point of trying to copy base.swm

The hard drive is brand new as teh previous drive failed.

I downloaded the Cyberlink utility as suggested as a possible fix for disk sets that come from HP, but that did not correct the problem.

The new hard drive is 1TB where the original was 750GB.

Any other ideas to get the recovery disks to work properly? Shoudl I just download Win 7 and install and then use the application & driver recovery disk?

Can the files be copied from the recovery disk directly to the drive? If I remove the hd from the laptop I can see the 3 partitions created.

Thanks

HP Recommended

i have same scenario...  HP Call Center was useless...  got my 3rd set of recovery disks on the way though... even after telling them that will not solve the problem...

HP Recommended

oh... and I still think it could be the HP ISO image on the DVDs...  I tried to copy the DVD onto an external HD and it failed to copy on the same DVD on the same file...  for me, it is BASE19.SWM on Disk 2 for a Pavilion DV7 4369CL.

HP Recommended

Now I am more certain than ever that the ISO image on the HP Recovery DVDs is bad.  Following some other advice on this forum, I downloaded a Windows 7 ISO and burnt that to a DVD.  I was able to install Windows 7 without any issues on my machine.

If anyone else out there is having problems out of the Recovery DVDs that you have ordered (and paid for I might add), please post your troubles.  You may not get answers for it, but lets make sure everyone knows how unreliable those DVDs are that you are buying from HP.  My guess is their policy is to frustrate you to the point that you buy a new machine rather than fix your existing one.

HP Recommended

I did receive my replacement disk and yes image was bad. I too tried to copy the disk to another drive and would fail everytime on the same file BASE file.

The second replecement disk set, which CS said would be the last,  actually almost finished installing.  It finished copying files up to the point of asking for the secondary driver disk but would fail whether I said yes or no to having additional drivers.  I gave up and installed Win 7 directly and found drivers for most of the hardware.

HP only answer was sorry you are out of warranty, our "harddrives are special" you can not just replace with an aftermarket. I purchased the same mfg (Hitachi) same size (750GB) same series as was originally in the laptop. HP said if I spent $194  on their harddrive, plus shipping, (for a $45 drive) that it would fix the issues.

I highly doubt that.

Thanks HP for making the choice easy for laptops my kids will be using in college this year.

HP Recommended

i have been dealing with this exact same issue for the last week...2nd set of disks still craps on disk 2, base19.swm at 68%...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.