Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 NOTEBOOK PC. J6L82PA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had my notebook for a couple of years now and have realised that I didn't create system recovery. Everything doesn't work the way it used to when i first started using my notebook. I've just updated Anti-virus and everything else its prompting me to do. HP Suppport Assistant is giving me a red flag to 'Create your system recovery' but with everything i have on my laptop I don't know where to start!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Hard drive is failing or has failed. This confirms the issues you're facing.

You've to replace hard drive with a new one of similar form factor.

2.5 inch SATA 7mm/9.5mm thick hard drive

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04354018

Page 49-50 of Manual shows replacement instructions:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04886216

It needs major disassembly to reach HDD bay. Get help from good technician to do it for you.

Order HP Recovery USB from HP technical support in your region, to factory reset OS after replacement.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended
Hi,

You could do it now.

Your laptop came with Windows 8.1 with Bing 64 bit. There is no downloadable ISO for this version of Windows from Microsoft, so your best bet is to create HP Recovery USB using HP Recovery Manager as soon as possible.

I would suggest you to follow this: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03481733

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering whether this will restore everything back to normal for example; when i watch a dvd, the picture freezes but the sound plays on? Or when I use the internet it freezes even when I'm typing or downloading??
HP Recommended

>  with everything i have on my laptop I don't know where to start!

While creating a "System Recovery Set" is a good idea, that set cannot be used to reinstall all your current applications (iTunes, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Office, anti-virus).

> Everything doesn't work the way it used to when i first started using my notebook.

Sigh.  While you could purchase an external disk-drive, and "clone" your current disk-drive onto the external drive, you will be saving an "as-is" copy of everything (Windows and programs), with its current "issues".

So, what to do?

1. Given that the current disk-drive probably is "out-of-warranty", purchase a new disk-drive.

2. Make that "System Recovery Set" (either writing onto one 16GB USB memory-stick or burning a few DVD disks).

3. Take an "inventory" of what programs that you currently have installed. (iTunes? Adobe Reader? MS Office?)

4. If you have purchased any software, find the "license-keys" that are needed to activate that software.

5. Purchase an external disk-drive.

6. Backup your files/music/pictures/bookmarks/E-mail to that external disk-drive.

7. Shutdown.

8. Remove the battery.

9. Disconnect the AC power.

10. Remove the current disk-drive, and set it aside, and label it with today's date.

11. Connect the new disk-drive.

12. Install Windows, and run Windows Update, repeatedly.

13. Install anti-virus software.

14. Install some of the previously-installed programs -- probably best to fetch "latest" versions from web-sites.

15. Reload your files (see #5, above)

16. Finally, "clone" your new disk-drive onto the external disk-drive -- overwriting the files from #6, above.

Repeat #16, about once a month, and sleep peacefully.

HP Recommended

> I'm just wondering whether this will restore everything back to normal for example; when i watch a dvd, the picture freezes but the sound plays on? Or when I use the internet it freezes even when I'm typing or downloading?? 

Take some of the steps from my previous response:

* purchase a new "internal" disk-drive.

* make the System Recovery set.

* install the new disk-drive.

* install Windows, and see if the symptoms ("freezing") have vanished.

If not, you might have "hardware" problems.

HP Recommended
Hi @Alexis_3 ,

Before creating HP Recovery USB, I would like you to do extensive test of hard drive and memory by tapping away F2 key as you power on laptop.

Let me know the results.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Ok. So its come uup with HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI
HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Running tests will keep you posted @Visruth
HP Recommended

Sure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.