Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

>  Before creating HP Recovery USB, I would like you to do extensive test of hard drive and memory by tapping away F2 key as you power on laptop.

I would do the two items in the opposite order:

* create the HP System Recovery set,

* then run the "extensive" test.

By doing it in this order, if the disk-drive is "on its last legs", you first should create that System Recovery set.

Then, if the disk-drive "dies" during the "extensive" test, you now have the System Recovery set to work with.

If it "dies" during the "extensive" test, running BEFORE you have created the System Recovery Set, you are "up the creek without a paddle".

HP Recommended
@mdklassen

> I would do the two items in the opposite order:
* create the HP System Recovery set,
* then run the "extensive" test.

> By doing it in this order, if the disk-drive is "on its last legs", you first should create that System Recovery set.
Then, if the disk-drive "dies" during the "extensive" test, you now have the System Recovery set to work with.

> If it "dies" during the "extensive" test, running BEFORE you have created the System Recovery Set, you are "up the creek without a paddle".

If hard drive is failing already, UEFI System Diagnostics "diagnose" the failure/impending failure and report it. It is not going to push a working HDD to death.

Creating HP Recovery media is a resource utilising procedure. If hard drive is already failing, creating a recovery media would not be successful.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Hi @Visruth

I ran an extensive test of memory and hard drive. Memory test passed, however the Hard drive test failed ID: 9U615V-7688HQ-XD7V7G-60VW03. Description: Hard Drive 1
HP Recommended
Hi,

Hard drive is failing or has failed. This confirms the issues you're facing.

You've to replace hard drive with a new one of similar form factor.

2.5 inch SATA 7mm/9.5mm thick hard drive

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04354018

Page 49-50 of Manual shows replacement instructions:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04886216

It needs major disassembly to reach HDD bay. Get help from good technician to do it for you.

Order HP Recovery USB from HP technical support in your region, to factory reset OS after replacement.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Thank you so much i will get this done and let you know how it all goes
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to help you!

HP Recommended

> If hard drive is already failing, creating a recovery media would not be successful.

Maybe, and maybe not. 

It depends on "how" the disk-drive is "failing".

For example, if the disk-drive has ever been over 60 degrees Celsius, SMART will flag the disk-drive as "bad", but the disk-drive will still work, at least for a while.

Compare to driving to an automotive parts-store to buy a replacement tire, because you've noticed that one of your current tires has gone bald.  That tire definitely will work, but it will not work indefinitely.

So, presuming that the disk-drive is still "healthy" enough to boot into Windows, you should create the recovery media, or backup your files, before submitting the disk-drive to an "extensive" test.  Do the useful tasks first.

HP Recommended

> Order HP Recovery USB from HP technical support in your region, to factory reset OS after replacement.

According to:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/6545564/model/7234521

there is no option to purchase a HP Recovery USB for your model.  Unfortunate.

So, definitely, while your computer is still running, try to make your own System Recovery set.

HP Recommended
@mdklassen

> According to: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/6545564/model/7234521

> there is no option to purchase a HP Recovery USB for your model. Unfortunate.

> So, definitely, while your computer is still running, try to make your own System Recovery set.

Creating recovery media now will not be successful, let OP try his/her luck and post the result.

Yes it is not shown in the link you posted. But contacting HP technical support directly by phone/ chat would help.

From HP Inner Circle information, this is what I got : HP stock recovery media for a model for up to 2-3 years after first release of the model into market.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

> Creating recovery media now will not be successful,

Question: how can you be 100% sure that the author's disk-drive is in such bad condition that you can GUARANTEE that it will fail?

Answer: you cannot.

> let OP try his/her luck and post the result.

That's the only way to break the "tie" between your opinion and my opinion.

I'm trying to give "hope" to the author, but you are saying that the author should not even TRY.

Please be "positive", rather than being so "negative".

>  It is not shown in the link you posted. But contacting HP technical support directly by phone/ chat would help.

That is a "conspiracy theory", namely that HP representatives have "secret" resources, and access to software, that is not shown on their web-pages.    Not believable.

> From HP Inner Circle information, this is what I got : HP stock recovery media for a model for up to 2-3 years after first release of the model into market.

All the "reviews" of this computer that I have found were "posted two years ago", which corresponds with your '2-3 years' claim.  Why not ask your "Inner Circle" for a DEFINITIVE answer on the availability of the "System Recovery Set", and post the result here?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.