08-20-2014 10:23 AM
I have a Pavilion DV6700 Notebook. Experienced a hdd failure and unable to recover. Bought new hard drive, unable to load OS of any variety (XP Pro, Vista or Win 7 Pro). I do not have a recovery disk unfortunately. I changed the boot option to CD/DVD, disk spins - light whirls - then stops - will not boot from CD then MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM is on the black screen. I have attempted the bootable USB as well with the same change of booting to USB, etc. No bueno.
I have ran the hdd and memory tests. Both are good. Just will not BOOT .... very frustrated
08-21-2014 10:27 AM
Hello @Dittle68 ,
Welcome to the HP Forums!
I understand you had an HDD failure, and after replacing the drive are unable to install Windows or boot to CD.
Try restoring the BIOS: Restoring the BIOS.
If you still cannot boot to CD to install Windows it would be best for you to contact HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.
Hope this helps!
Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)