Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I deactivate the fn key in Windows 8, cause I use them a lot and they do what the little symbol in them says, but when I press the fn key + the f# key it works as normally. I have an HP Pavilion g7 laptop.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I see that you're trying to disable the Fn functions on your notebook. 

Here are the steps you will need to take to do so. 

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1.    Press the power button to turn on the computer.

2.    Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.

3.    Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure 2: BIOS setup window

1. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press theenter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  2. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled : Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.
      For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled , pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11keys will mute the sound.
      The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
    3. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
    Also, The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time. If you have any questions let me know.

THX

HP Recommended

I have already gone to the bios and deactivated the action keys, but my function keys are still working as if activated, my model is HPg6, it is very frustrating because I use the laptop to program and it is very annoying to have to press fn key to use the function keys to rename, update, etc. Please let me know if there is a way to solve this.

HP Recommended
Could you please give me the exact product number for your computer?

If you need help finding it, you can use the following link:

Thanks,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hello Kyle, the exact product number of my laptop is D6W94EA#ABE. I have double checked that in the BIOS, the option is disabled.

Hope you can helo me!

thanks,

HP Recommended

Do you know if you are running the most recent BIOS? The current version is F.24.

If you are not on the most recent version, I would recommend updating it and then trying to disable the function key through the BIOS once again. Also make sure that you are saving the BIOS settings when you exit.

Here is a link to the most recent version: 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-115749-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Best of luck, 

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hello Kyle, thanks for your help, problem solved with your solution.

HP Recommended

When i start up and shut down my windows 8 laptop it doesnt show a boot menu just a windows loading icon (the rolling balls) and straight to my profile.

HP Recommended

Hello Catomic

As I understand it you are having issues getting to the BIOS to attempt the solutions you are seeing here? If so on @linos99 post in this thread here. You will see that as soon as your computer begins to start you need to start tapping the F10 key which will bring you to the BIOS.

I hope this helps to resolve your issue. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem trying to disable action key.

ie. I want when pressing F3, it's traditional windows next, rather than brightness higher.

I tried to disable in bios  but appears to have no effect.

I double checked it in bios, it is disabled but in windows 8, pressing F1-F12 are just the ones which the symbol stands for.

my model is G6-2291SA

System SKU    E5L26EA#ABU    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)    
BIOS Version/Date    Insyde F.25, 29/05/2013    
SMBIOS Version    2.7    

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.