Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have upgraded to win 8 from win 7. I would like to delete SWSetup folder from C:drive which is nearly 4gb. 

SWSetup folder contains many folders named as sp5648 etc..

My question is will the deletion of SWSetup folder affect any installed applications/drivers or does any installed programs use files from SWSetup folder while running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The swsetup folder just contains the installers for softwares and drivers relevant to your notebook and are not required or accessed during normal running.  It is also the location that any HP installers you download will extract to before executing.

It's perfectly Ok to remove this folder, but you might consider first copying it to external media such as a blank DVD, just in case you ever need quick access to any of the installers it contains.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The swsetup folder just contains the installers for softwares and drivers relevant to your notebook and are not required or accessed during normal running.  It is also the location that any HP installers you download will extract to before executing.

It's perfectly Ok to remove this folder, but you might consider first copying it to external media such as a blank DVD, just in case you ever need quick access to any of the installers it contains.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you David 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Okay so yesterday I was cleaning out my laptop and I deleted the swsetup folder not knowing what it was... I decided to google it and found out it was important.. I decided I'll finish up then recover it. Long story short I forgot about it and ran a cleaning program and it deleted everything that was in the rubbish bin... How can I get this folder back? or Is there one I can download? Or am I just screwed...

HP Recommended
Are there an other unnecessary folders such as this? My virus scan takes a long time because of folders like SWSetup. Thanks
HP Recommended
A previous post said it (SWSetup) was a useless folder and ok to delete it. Any idea what the truth is?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.