03-08-2014 05:01 PM
03-08-2014 09:42 PM - edited 03-08-2014 09:44 PM
With the intermittent errors,it sounds like the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced. A retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.
As for whether it is possible to recover your files it depends on how much life is left in the hard drive.Many times you can remove it, attach it to a USB Adapter or install in a USB Enclosure to plug into working machine via usb port and copy files over to the hard drive of host machine.
If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.
|**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**|
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)