Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-af066sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop was getting really slow so I decided to restart my laptop. As in reinstall windows while keeping my files. When it finished I'd realised that a lot of my programmes haf been deleted. I soon found out that I needed recover manager to reinstall it. I was told to search for it in my start search bar but couldn't find it even after looking for it. So is there anyway for reinstalling recovery manager. I saw a couple of these questions but found out that they were a couple years old and was windows 7 based. I'm currently running on windows 10 64 bit

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

LoY4l

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about your recovery manager problem and wanted to help -- but need more information.

I see you're running Win10.  Did the PC come preinstalled with Win10? Or, did you upgrade it from a prior OS to Win10?  If you did the upgrade, how long ago was that?

Asking because if the PC came with Win8.1, instead of Win10, you have two serious problems.  First, the recovery manager (if it worked) would only restore the PC to Win8.1, not to Win10 because the Win10 Upgrade did not install the files needed for the Recovery Manager to restore the PC to Win10, second, the Win10 Upgrade is know, in some cases, to corrupt the OEM Recovery information.  And if that happened to yours, the Recovery Manager will not work, even if you were to download and reinstall it.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. I upgraded to windows 10 when I first got my laptop as I got it a couple months after windows 10 came out.

I just need to reinstall a few programmes which came bundled with my laptop such as my cyberlink software which I'm trying to reinstall.

HP Recommended

LoY4l

Understand ... here is the link to the Win8.1 software and drivers page for your PC: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-af000-notebook-pc-series/7771410/model/8255055...

If that page does not show Win8.1 when you open it, click Change and select Windows 8.1 from the pulldown.

The HP apps you want should be there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply

But I am running on Windows 10, would the windows 8.1 recovery manager work for me?

HP Recommended

On the download description is says not compatible with windows 10

HP Recommended

Perhaps I didn't explain it well ...

The Recovery Manager uses files that HP preloaded on the PC when they assembled it.  That's why you can use it to recover the original OS and other stuff -- the files needed are stored in the Recovery partition.

After you Upgrade to Win10, you can NOT use the HP Recovery Manager successfully anymore -- for two reasons:

1) Corruption -- the Win10 Upgrade tool is known, in some cases, to corrupt the OEM Recovery information.  When this happens, the files the Recover Manager needs have been erased or corrupted.  Installing a fresh Recovery Manager does nothing to fix the corrupted files.

2) Missing information -- the Win10 Upgrade does NOT install the files the Recovery Manager needs to recover Win10.  Installing a fresh Recovery Manager does NOT install those files.

So, you need to quit harping on about HP Recovery Manager -- it's not going to work because of the Win10 Upgrade you did.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.