Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Is there a way that I can get the MiE restore image on a USB flash drive without downloading it? Could I use the "HP MIE Restore Image Creator" to pull the image off my Mini 1000MiE? Is there any other way to get it?

I've been trying for 2 weeks to download a restore image for my HP Mini 1000 with the Mobile Internet Experience (Ubuntu Linux) without success. I've got a DSL line at home, A Vista machine, a XP machine, and a Ubuntu Linux machine. They are networked through a netgear router. I have downloaded and installed the proper software for each platform.

The windows machines start the "HP MIE Restore Image Creator" program, but after about 30 seconds there is an error "operation timed out". The restore.img file on my disk is "0" bytes. The flash drive is never written to.

The Linux machine does a little better. It will download and write the restore.img file to disk but then stops after 100% is displayed on the download progress bar. I left the "HP MIE Restore Image Creator" program running for 2 hours but nothing further occured in the terminal. The restore image was not written to the flash drive.  Was there some additional command that I should have entered in the terminal?

I installed the "HP MIE Restore Image Creator" on a XP machine at work. This has a much faster internet connection. The program will download about 80% of the restore.img file to disk and then fails with an "operation timed out". The flash drive is never written to. This is consistent over the course of the last 2 weeks, I try it serveral times at different times each day.

I contacted HP Support but they sadly, seemed unable to do anything. I've seen others in the forum say that they have downloaded this Linux restore image. I was able to download the Ubuntu Remix image which is about the same size. I really don't think that it is a problem with my equipment. It is like the HP server is overwhelmed. I really would be much more confident using the HP Mini with a MiE restore image on my thumb drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Don't know why but today the restore image download completed successfully on the faster computer at work.

So if it was someone at HP that acted on the above posting- Thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Don't know why but today the restore image download completed successfully on the faster computer at work.

So if it was someone at HP that acted on the above posting- Thank you.

HP Recommended

I'm also having this problem, So far I'm on my 7th attempt. All previous attempts would time out either 20 minutes or right before completion. Need help!!!

HP Recommended

I too have the same problem of not being able to download the restore image for my HP Mini 1000.  Download went to completion and failed right there.  Having noted the others who report the same experience.  So I have decided to use another approach: loading an OS on the HP Mini  and using that.  It is clear that using the HP restore image is a dead end.  Too bad.

Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.