Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 820 G1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was to update BIOS firmware for a users laptop but am stuck due to lack of BIOS admin password. This has not been set by anyone and if so, I have already tried the few default passwords that we use in special cases like this. Can you please help me out with resetting the BIOS password please? I do not want to open the laptop to reset BIOS with pin, battery or switch...and I am actually not sure if that is possible at all with this model. Either way, warranty will be removed if I do.

Serial no: [Personal Information Removed]

Regards

Kim Hagen

Senior Technical Consultant

CMA Contiki AS

Norway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Enterprise class notebooks are of a very different category than the consumer notebooks.

The security is quite stringent.

Removing the admin or startup  password will require replacement of the systemboard or the BIOS CMOS chip with one that has been programmed with a fresh copy of an applicable BIOS family ROM file.

For the notebook to remain in warranty that must be performed by an authorized HP service provider. 

" I do not want to open the laptop to reset BIOS with pin, battery or switch...and I am actually not sure if that is possible at all with this model." The old school methods are not possibile with this modern generation of Elitebook notebook models.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Enterprise class notebooks are of a very different category than the consumer notebooks.

The security is quite stringent.

Removing the admin or startup  password will require replacement of the systemboard or the BIOS CMOS chip with one that has been programmed with a fresh copy of an applicable BIOS family ROM file.

For the notebook to remain in warranty that must be performed by an authorized HP service provider. 

" I do not want to open the laptop to reset BIOS with pin, battery or switch...and I am actually not sure if that is possible at all with this model." The old school methods are not possibile with this modern generation of Elitebook notebook models.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I was afraid that there was nothing I could do regarding CMOS reset. I thought that this things always was created with a "backdoor".

So would this be something that comes under warranty if HP has to do this job?

Do we need to send it in to a service point or will someone come to the office?

If not under warranty, what would be the cost for this?

The reason for me asking is that there is no one that has set the password, this notebook was opened from a sealed box. Is there any default password on this? I.e will the BIOS password be set to the first local administrator that set his password on the computer, so that we actually changed the BIOS password without even knowing it?

Regards

kim

HP Recommended

@Contiki wrote:

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I was afraid that there was nothing I could do regarding CMOS reset. I thought that this things always was created with a "backdoor".

So would this be something that comes under warranty if HP has to do this job? Contact HP via the my IT environment and initiate a case. 

Do we need to send it in to a service point or will someone come to the office? Contact HP via the my IT environment and initiate a case. 

If not under warranty, what would be the cost for this?

The reason for me asking is that there is no one that has set the password, this notebook was opened from a sealed box. Is there any default password on this? I.e will the BIOS password be set to the first local administrator that set his password on the computer, so that we actually changed the BIOS password without even knowing it?

Regards

kim

You will need to contact HP directly about this. Be aware that this is the Global support forum and I am not an HP employee.

Out of the box from the factory there is no password set on notebooks or desktop products.

To go online to your my IT environment at HP web support  to initiate a case use the following URL. You will have to sign in.

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/it

HP Recommended

Did you find any solution?

I have the same problem with a brand new HP Elitebook 820 out of sealed box asks for bios password.

I have installed our company volume licens Windows 7  and enabled bitlocker. Could it be bitlocker that sets a BIOS password when it enables TPM?

/Chill

HP Recommended

Now I managed to login to bios with same password as local admin on Windows.

Case solved for me.

But I cant figure out how this could be set.

/Chill

HP Recommended

Hi,

No I am sorry to tell you I didn`t find any solution on how to do this. As I understand you have one way to go...

- Contact HP and get them to do the job. Billable, most likely!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.