Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
8470p
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi,

I need help.

I want to install Win XP 32bit on my Elitebook 8470p, that came with Win8. I need to make a clean XP install on laptop.

If someone can please help me through the steps needed to install XP on this laptop?

I have a bootable CD with XP installation, I start the installation but the laptop freezes at "Setup is starting windows" and displays BSOD with acpi.sys in it.

I tried many options in BIOS, like disabling AHCI and enabling IDE mode, and many other options, but no one helps to get past this error.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Set the drive controller setting in the BIOS to AHCI.

Also enable legacy mode in the BIOS, which should disable secure boot.  XP is not compatible with secure boot.

Then read the info at the link below, Intel section.  Then read the info on the downloadable document for how to slipstream all of the sata drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-...

I have zipped up and attached the drivers you need to slipstream below.

Slipstream the entire unzipped file folder.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Set the drive controller setting in the BIOS to AHCI.

Also enable legacy mode in the BIOS, which should disable secure boot.  XP is not compatible with secure boot.

Then read the info at the link below, Intel section.  Then read the info on the downloadable document for how to slipstream all of the sata drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-...

I have zipped up and attached the drivers you need to slipstream below.

Slipstream the entire unzipped file folder.

HP Recommended

Thank You, will try and report.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Paul, Your solution worked, I got past the "setup is starting windows".

Installing right now!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.