Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8540w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently I bought used Elitebook 8540w with preinstalled windows 7 Pro (64bit). There is activation code glued to the notebook bottom.

1) Where could I get installation disk for the activation code which I have?

2) The other point is that I have bought few years ago Win 7 Pro (64 bit) for the other computer with the other installation code. May I use this wibndows installation disk with activation code for the 8540w when necessary?
Thank you in advance for advice.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AlexKach wrote:

1) Where could I get installation disk for the activation code which I have?

2) The other point is that I have bought few years ago Win 7 Pro (64 bit) for the other computer with the other installation code. May I use this wibndows installation disk with activation code for the 8540w when necessary?
Thank you in advance for advice.

Hi @AlexKach

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

With regards to questions 1 >   it depends on your product number (PN) but for most you can get the installation media from here > http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-18271-recovery-kit-vw966av-for-hp-elite-book-model-number-8540w-mo...

It contains installation for Windows 7 x86 + drivers + few preinstalled apps

How to find concrete model and product number > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

With regards to question 2 > It's hard to tell without details. Basically, here is how it is : Microsoft sells the same product but under different licensing configurations. The one you have on the Elitebook with attached sticket (called COA - certificate of authentity) is for OEM type of license - a.k.a. licenses sold by Microsoft to OEM vendors (PC vendors) like HP.

I am not sure what kind of license you have and disc you have for the other one you have bought previous. Generally speaking, it was OEM/OEI/DSP, it cannot be transferred to other PCs, the installation media may work but may not activate. If it was FPP (full product package - with box/disc found in retail stores - those ones (FPPs) can be transferred to other PCs as long as you do not use it on the old PC. If this is the case - it should work.

On the other side, during my work career I have noticed that FPP installation media can and successfully activates OEM code, so it does not hurt trying. After all, you don't loose anything and if it doesn't work, you will purchase the recovery media.

Note that after installation you need to obtain drivers from the HP website http://support.hp.com

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.