Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, but has nothing to do with upgrading.  I'm just trying to remove the software from a Win7 Enterprise x64 unit (8570p).  I've removed all the components of ProtectTools, but cannot remove Security Manager as I keep getting the "Hewlett-Packard is not a valid short file name" error.  SFC /SCANNOW reveals no errors.  I have to get this software removed ASAP.  Please help!

HP Recommended

jhall2519

deactivate the auto start and the process

deactivate the BIOS security settings

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

This is going to sound weird, but this actually has a really simple solution. Go into the device manager and disable your DVD drive. Then run the uninstall and it should avoid the error. You can re-enable afterwards without any issues.

HP Recommended

To JarinArenos: Thanks, works great!

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly, thank you for the info.

HP Recommended

Amazing, how did you find this fix? Saved me a lot of possible wasted time! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Works like a charm! 

HP Recommended

To JarinArenos:

Many thanks for this. We wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't just found your solution. tried it and seen it work.. 

HP Recommended

Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt)
Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
Disable the DVD drive
Repeat the uninstall process
Reboot
Open Device Manager and enable the DVD drive

HP Recommended

I experienced a similar problem when attempting to uninstall HP Client Security Manager.

First off Un-install all other HP Security programs - there are a fair few.

The easiest way to fix this Error is to Disable DVD Drive in Device Manager, run the un-install (which should work now) and then dont forget to re-enable DVD Drive again.

Hope that helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.