Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Problem:

Unable to Install "Hp Support Assisstance" Due to Error 1605 during installation.

Tools Required to fix:

• Reg Scanner from Nirsoft Ver 1.95 Download from this link Regscanner

My OS & Machine Details:

HP Pavilion g4 Windows 7 Home Basic x64 SP1

Steps which solved the problem: These steps are for the installation issues which triggered Error 1605:

• Clear the temp files , Type %temp% in the run window and press enter , Now delete the contents present in the user temp location
  • open Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click the entry for HP Software Framework and select Uninstall.
  • After Uninstallation restart the computer.
  • Now install the HP Software Framework
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Take the backup of your registry or HKLM alone before proceeding to next step. Store the backup in c:\ drive or in any other location
  • Open Regscanner.
  • Type the string EE202411-2C26-49E8-9784-1BC1DBF7DE96 in the FindString text box and click ok. No Customization for search is required. Now it will list down the registry entries which has its value matching the string input
  • Now select all the entries using shift key , (I have deleted 8 entries) and right click and Select "Delete Selected Keys/Value" , if this didn't work : select each search result alone & "press F8" or "Right Click & choose Open in RegEdit" > then Delete the marked Registry > then you can repeat the last steps for each search results.
  • These are the uninstallation entries for the HP Support Assistant Product :
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{EE202411-2C26-49E8-9784-1BC1DBF7DE96}
  • Also do the same for this string 21E62565-8639-457C-B64C-A3FF0A8B4D80, By clicking File > New Scan.
  • Now try to install the HP Support Assistant.
  • I hope the installation will be successful.

I am a advanced user and tried all the installation logging (msiexec) and other steps to sort out this problem.

I hope this post will help some users.

Dr_esh6a

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thank you very much Ayesha and Hp I had the same problem which occured after windows re-installation.

Now things are up and running,

Regards,
Arif

HP Recommended

@dr_esh6a wrote:

Problem:

Unable to Install "Hp Support Assisstance" Due to Error 1605 during installation.

Thanks for the solution dr_esha6a.

I did face this same -> Error 1605 problem with HPSA v7.4.45.4 re-install on a HP 625 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit machine.

After checking all the solution steps I noted there were no such mentioned registry keys at all in the HKLM branch!

During the procedure HP Software Support Framework and HP Support Assistant were uninstalled and after a restart a new HPSSF v11.50.0019 installed and the sp64126 v4.0.100.1189 tried but failed.

First did pop-up the Error: -1605, then the message -> HP Support Assistant installation failed with -> Error: -3, and last a small window was left over telling -> Searching HPSF.exe. You may search the file yourself by clicking Browse.

But, not even a thorough total C:\ disk search couldn't find any HPSF.exe on the machine, so, this maybe part of the reason for the failure, but why is it missing there?

HP Recommended

Please, referring to the above post, following you have the whole dialog on this installation problem:

Feature transfer error

Error: -1605  This function can be used only for actually installed products.

-> OK

HP support Assistant - InstallShield Wizard

InstallShield Wizard completed.

The wizard was interrupted before HP Support Assistant could be completely installed.

The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run the installation again.

Click Finish to exit the wizard.

-> Finish

Missing icon

Searching for HPSF.exe. You may search it by yourself.

-> Do not exist anywhere on the C:\ disk!

! Problem on icon

! File or folder, to which this icon is referring, is not found.

-> OK

? HP Support Assistant

HP Support Assistant installation failed. During the installation occurred error.: -3

-> Close

Please, anyone tell, if there is any hint to solve this problem, on Win7SP1 32-bit.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

In regards to the 1605 error, if you have tried every step in this thread (I manually went through it on a lab computer and it corrected the issue, after I created it myself), then  I would like you to reinstall the operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and allow you to start fresh.

First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

Once it is done, make sure Support Assistant is installed. It should be working now.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

@SuperMario1 wrote:

Hello everyone,

In regards to the 1605 error, if you have tried every step in this thread (I manually went through it on a lab computer and it corrected the issue, after I created it myself), then  I would like you to reinstall the operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and allow you to start fresh.

First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

Once it is done, make sure Support Assistant is installed. It should be working now.

Mario

Sorry, to reinstall the whole OS is not a solution in this case ...

Isn't there even any explanations for the fail/errors mentioned on the detailed description leading to a solution?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.