Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So every time I try to restore the computer, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot find D:\System.sav\Util\RStone.exe"

I've tried removing the recovery USB  and booting up the computer again, but it just says "Bootmgr is missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"

What do I do? I'm running out of options at this point.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Usually the first 3 discs are the most important - the last one supplemental is not as important as the other 3 and contains software/drivers (that is why it is called supplemental).

It is highly unlikely that your HDD is failing because it should have caused simptoms earlier but please test it now:

perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics (or the respective F option to start checks)

Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform Run-in/Start tests for the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and RAM (Memory) check.

Let me know the test results.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @popsomebags

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

You receive the message "Bootmgr is missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" because operating system is not installed at all or partially installed - this is expected.

What is your full computer model and product number (PN) ? Here is how to see it > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

You mentioned recovery USB media. What Windows is this for, I suspect this is not for Windows 7.

Is this a recovery media you created or a media you purchased ?

The message you get is an indication of recovery media issue.

Looking forward to your reply/update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Hi, @IT_WinSec

My computer product number is: A7A4OUA#ABA

My computers full name is: HP Pavilion g7-1316dx Notebook PC

The recovery media is for Windows 7 64 bit, and was purchased from HP.

Should I return it? There is obviously something wrong with it at this point.
HP Recommended

@popsomebags

Sorry about the USB recovery media problem -- but you need to get HP to replace this with media that works.

We can not do that for you, so we have been directed to tell you to contact HP Customer Support, and tell them that the USB Recovery media is NEW and not working, and be sure to tell them the error message you are seeing.

They are then supposed to send you replacement USB Recovery media.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@popsomebags wrote:
@hi, @IT_WinSec

My computer product number is: A7A4OUA#ABA

My computers full name is: HP Pavilion g7-1316dx Notebook PC

The recovery media is for Windows 7 64 bit, and was purchased from HP.

Should I return it? There is obviously something wrong with it at this point.

Hi @popsomebags

Yes, please return it and ask HP for a replacement because this one is not working correctly.

If HP cannot provide you a replacement, ask for a refund and purchase HP original recovery media for your model from this 3rd party company > http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-20685-windows-7-64b-recovery-kit-679965-001-for-hp-pavilion-notebo...

Let me know how it goes, provide an update.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: After contacting several agents, I have successfully gotten a refund, I will follow IT_Winsec's solution of buying the 3rd party recovery. 

If the 3rd party recovery media works, I will mark Winsec's answer as the solution.

As for now, I am ordering the recovery media.

HP Recommended

UPDATE #2: Package was received, 3 system recovery disks, 1 supplemental.

First 3 work, when prompted to insert supplemental disk, nothing happens and it skips the 3rd step, "restoring files to the hard drive"

Then it brings me to a screen that says "contact hp support" and tells me that reformatting the hard drive might help.

The first 2 steps (reformatting the Windows partition of the hard drive) and (copying files required to restore the hard drive) both complete with the first 3 disks..

What do I do? Running out of options here.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Usually the first 3 discs are the most important - the last one supplemental is not as important as the other 3 and contains software/drivers (that is why it is called supplemental).

It is highly unlikely that your HDD is failing because it should have caused simptoms earlier but please test it now:

perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics (or the respective F option to start checks)

Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform Run-in/Start tests for the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and RAM (Memory) check.

Let me know the test results.

HP Recommended

If the hardware tests all pass, next step I would suggest it to use GParted

You can find a description in their site. I would use it to boot the machine with it and erase everything on the HDD.

GParted ISO > http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-live-0.28.1-1-amd64.iso

GParted Tutorial - example > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0czAJwEbtFs

You will need an empty USB thumbdrive

or a 1 blank new DVD disc

Instructions : How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Instructions are just a reference - use the GParted ISO and the instructions are a reference.

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

Shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the GParted USB thumdrive or the DVD prepared previously

Power  on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the thumb drive as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to start GParted with default settings (don't touch anything)

Load your main HDD, right click on all the partitions created (if any), Delete them.

Eventually, click on Edit -> Apply all operations

Close Gparted and restart the PC.

Start the HP Recovery procedure (boot from the discs again) and attempt recovery.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Ran the Hard Disk check, after the quick scan got red text saying "Hard Disk 1 Fault" 

Looks like I need to get a new hard drive, not sure if I should buy a new computer at this point, this laptop has been with me since 2012.

Anyway, thanks for the help, the disks work and will probably help other people experiencing the same problem as me. I am going to mark your answer as the solution as my computer needs some physical repairs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.