Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5z 1000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
If your Hard Drive fails, are you able to use an external hard drive to replace it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

RandyTron

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Answer is -- yes and no -- let me explain.

Yes -- you might be able to use an external drive to recover data from the former internal drive, but how much depends on the extent and cause of the internal drive failure.  If the internal drive developed a few bad sectors, the remainder of the drive is probably retrievable.  But if the internal drive suffered a head crash or other serious hardware failure, then NOTHING is retrievable using consumer grade products; instead, it would have to go to a commercial data retrieval facility and their charges start at $1000 USD per disk.

No -- you can't use an external drive in place of an internal drive for two reasons.  First, Windows won't run from an external drive, so even if you were able to copy the entire contents of the internal drive to the external, it still couldn't be used to run Windows.  Second, you can't boot from the external drive -- and you need to be able to do that to run Windows.

If you need more information, you need to provide more details on the problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

RandyTron

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Answer is -- yes and no -- let me explain.

Yes -- you might be able to use an external drive to recover data from the former internal drive, but how much depends on the extent and cause of the internal drive failure.  If the internal drive developed a few bad sectors, the remainder of the drive is probably retrievable.  But if the internal drive suffered a head crash or other serious hardware failure, then NOTHING is retrievable using consumer grade products; instead, it would have to go to a commercial data retrieval facility and their charges start at $1000 USD per disk.

No -- you can't use an external drive in place of an internal drive for two reasons.  First, Windows won't run from an external drive, so even if you were able to copy the entire contents of the internal drive to the external, it still couldn't be used to run Windows.  Second, you can't boot from the external drive -- and you need to be able to do that to run Windows.

If you need more information, you need to provide more details on the problem.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.